OK, I've shocked my pool, now what?

May 12, 2008
California City, CA
Alright, my FC was .5 and my TC/CC was 3 this morning so for the first time ever, I've shocked my pool. Now, I've been told that the FC has to "hold" until morning. Does that mean it has to stay at shock numbers (I've got it up to about 15 right now)?? If so, how long will it take to go down enough to let the kids swim? and what is a safe number to let the kids swim?

templehb said:
Alright, my FC was .5 and my TC/CC was 3 this morning so for the first time ever, I've shocked my pool. Now, I've been told that the FC has to "hold" until morning. Does that mean it has to stay at shock numbers (I've got it up to about 15 right now)?? If so, how long will it take to go down enough to let the kids swim? and what is a safe number to let the kids swim?

I've swam as high as 10ppm with ZERO issues, showered after. But I had high CYA at the time...

That means you have a CC of 2ppm and yes, you must shock to get that below .5

Hard to say....could be 2 or 3 nights, maybe. Sounds like you caught it early, if the water is clear....

Shock it after dark, wait an hour and test. Test again in the morning. If your number holds you should be o.k...no live algea consuming it.

Be sure to run the filter 24/7 till you water is stable.

I've been amazed at the bleach I've gone through too. Whew. It really is a ton. But it's best to get the chlorine up there and hold it to kill what's going on in there. If you just up it a little you're only killing it as fast as it's growing back. Whack it in the head by getting it to the shock level and keep it there. Otherwise you'll keep adding chlorine every day like I've been and still not get the job done a week later.

I'm hoping by keeping mine at the shock level instead of getting it there and letting it drift back down that I can finally get mine to clear.

Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA protects your chlorine from uv loss....so if you drift down during the day it's not from the sun, it's from the organics consuming the CL. So yeah, I'd go ahead and keep it up. The sooner you get it to hold the sooner you'll be done shocking.....

It's no harder to keep it at that level once you get it there. It drifts down at the same rate it seems. It was just a few jugs to get it up to this level.

With my CYA of 60, the Pool Calculator says the shock level is 18. So I'm trying to keep it at that level or above instead of letting it drift below before I add more. I've had it at shock level or above for 2 days now. In those 2 days, I've added 8 of the larger jugs so 12-13 gallons of bleach. I've brushed the pool every day and vacuumed it. My pool sat as a green swamp for 2 years (previous owners) so I guess I just had a lot of work to do. It seems very clean and blue to me now. I still find a leaf here and there at the bottom but no dirt or grit and the walls are clean.

My FC was 18.5 at 8:30 this morning. I added half a jug and it was 18.5 at 11am. Just now at 2:45 it was 18 again so I added one whole jug. I'll check again late in the day before I go to bed and then again tomorrow morning to see where I stand.

I'm a newbie. But makes sense to me that as long as the FC is getting used up and CC's are being created, there's still something in there to fight. My pump / sand filter are going 24/7. I hope to win this battle soon. Patience is DEFINITELY the hardest part.

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.