filter pump head leaking =(

minsx

Jun 21, 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
Hi! I just set up a new INTEX pool ~ 3 weeks ago and it's been great so far (especially with help from this board). But I've run into another snag. . .

The filter top on the 530 gph filter pump leaks badly. This started happening after I removed it to wash out the filter, and then replaced it, not realizing I'd lost the O ring when I took the top off. I located the O ring, re-installed it, and replaced the top and it still leaked. I tried setting the O ring in the ridge in the top of the filter more deeply, and that didn't help. I tried placing it on very gently instead of wedging it in there, and that didn't help. It leaks more when the pump is off than when the pump is running. Is there a known issue with these or am I doing something wrong with how I am putting the top, o-ring, and pump together? It seems really simple, almost foolproof. Now I feel kind of like a fool . ..

I called INTEX customer support, and they gave me a pin # and told me I'd be receiving an email with replacement instructions. . . which never came. After calling them three times to confirm my email and have them re-send it, and not having it come, I gave up and started looking online. It turns out O rings are rather hard to find - even INTEX is sold out.

Anyways, after all this, a neighbor of mine has an intex ultra frame 16'x48" pool with what I believe is the 1500 gph pump. Since she purchased a sand and saltwater filtration system with her intex pool, she had this leftover pump that she offered to donate to the cause. But, the 1500 gph pump has hoses with 1-1/2" ID whereas the original pump and pool connectors were made with a 1-1/4" ID. Is there a way to make the bigger pump work with the smaller pool, or is that a bad idea?

Sorry for all the questions. I want to do it right the first time, so I don't end up with more problems in the end!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.