POLLEN? I think so... but not sure

May 18, 2012
Greensboro NC
Let's start with a bang (picture taken last night at 7:30PM):
20130725_193255.jpg

This came out of nowhere! Went out of town last weekend, Friday night I brought the pool up to Shock levels because I was going to be away from it for 2 days, and came back to this!

Been maintaining shock levels of chlorine and running the filter 24/7. Brushing once or twice a day!

These were my test results this morning (7:35am): (FC was at 11 last night at 11:00PM)
CYA: < 20 (I keep adding it, it doesn't seem to go up?) Planning on adding more
FC: 10.5
CC: ~0.5 (within margin of error for the test)
TA: 110
pH: 7.8 (going to get acid to bring down tonight)

I have noticed what looks like a yellow cloud when I brush the shallow end. Chlorine consumption isn't greater than normal, and FC is constantly reading at < 1ppm.

I don't get it, feel very discouraged. I initially thought it was algae, but my OCLT doesn't point to that. So weird.

Thinking about adding some DE to my filter, I would just hate to lose it when I backwash.

I am having a hard time remembering exactly, but I am pretty confident it has least 7 lbs, which according to the calculator should add 35ppm. If I remember correctly I got a 4lb bucket from Leslie's and a 3lb container from Wal-Mart.

Also, in my experience, algea will change color in a day after shocking it, this hasn't changed colors.

I am going to keep at it, but it is frustrating!

Pool still hasn't cleared up.

Looked into my filter yesterday and realized it was REALLY low on sand, replaced the sand yesterday. Hope that helps.

Full readings from yesterday
FC:12ppm
CC: < 1ppm
pH: ~8
TA: 100
CYA: 30ppm

Still confuses me that the algae could be dead and still green, I've never seen that happen before, but I will take your word for it. I'm not going through a ton of chlorine, and my CC is low, so I guess it makes sense.

I'd use the FC level based on 40 ppm CYA.
I agree. Use 16 shock level.
Also, I suggest you do not add any more CYA until you can confirm the 7lbs added. Wait a few days and retest.

Have you added any other chems lately? like an algaecide maybe?

What is the fill water source? well or municipal/public?

Teh 7lbs of CYA has been since the beginning of the summer, and I added another 3 lbs 2 weeks ago, I am now registering ~30ppm CYA.

I have added no algecide, the only other chem lately has been muriatic acid to bring pH down, which has been creeping up in a weird way.

I have well water, but haven't added any since the beginning of June, since then it has been all rain water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.