new pool,fiilling,tested, now what,in what order?

Jul 22, 2013
Ok, got pool refilled (almost 5" to go, before we can start pump.) Unfortunately , the 2nd fill fromour well, has some sediment the first fill didn't ,so I will be doing a lot of filter cleaning. Tested. with t-50. Temp 72 degrees. Ph 7.8...No Cl, FC,CYA. TA 120-130 . I did the pool calculator....But what order? Do I get CYA up first? Do I shock , and how many times before the SWG gets up? Just add the right amount of salt after pump starts running and adding the Muriatic acid ....have my grandson staying so don't want to leave ladder in pool, so should I broadcast it? or dilute..... or Shock first? (I have triclor shock).
Should be able to start pump in about 2 hours... I read something about shocking for first 4 days? :? Confused as to order. Thanks

FC is the first thing you need since the pH is good.

If you're sure the "shock" you have is trichlor and not Dichlor then add about 5 oz to the pool in front of a running return. You can do that once or twice a day for the next 10 to 15 days to get the CYA up or you can add CYA directly. I choose adding it on it's own.

I don't think there's any reason to shock the pool unless your well water has something in it that requires it. Which I doubt.

Bama Rambler said:
FC is the first thing you need since the pH is good.

If you're sure the "shock" you have is trichlor and not Dichlor then add about 5 oz to the pool in front of a running return. You can do that once or twice a day for the next 10 to 15 days to get the CYA up or you can add CYA directly. I choose adding it on it's own.

I don't think there's any reason to shock the pool unless your well water has something in it that requires it. Which I doubt.

Why do you say "trichlor and not dichlor"? What is wrong with dichlor as a quick boost of FC and CYA?

Ok, I got my test kit. Only thing I had was ph of 7.8 no Cl or fcl (well water) . while filling and waiting for test kit .I put 1 bag of tri-clor shock,as it took 2 days to fill. temp 72-78 . somewhat cloudy from 2nd well filling .
Got kit ,tested. No stablizer, ph 8.2.Put in recommended stablizer , muratic acid to bring ph down for swg to 7.4-7.6. recommended amount of salt.per Pool School on swg. we ran the SWG, for 12 hours first day , along with filtering 24 hr. Then I tested FC and CC and had values of 5 ...so I turned off generator...as the test kit said 1.5-ideal. Today it is 3+ on FC and CC. so didn't turn on SWG. But just read that SWG need 3-5 on chlorine test...opps , is that so? It is higher than the test tube test say is ideal.
So I just turned it back on, after cc,fc level checked at 3. So I should ignore the "ideal" marks on my clorine test kit, and go for 3-5 instead?
Also I had put stablizer in , then the SWG (Intex ) says to delay it...too late I was going by Pool School I thought. Had 3 regular chlorine and even Baquacil in past. But the SWG is a new thing for this granny.....( ph and alkalinity are fine.) Hubby just wants to know if he can swim before he goes out of town :cool:

Target CYA is 70-80 says the note under my desk cover taken from Pool School SWG page. But read that Stablizer may not show up in test results for a week, so I didn't retake it today. (used half my regents already :-D . Water still a bit cloudy, greenish, but getting clearer, tiny filter came with the thing, so washing and replacing every couple hours, our well pulled up some sediment on the 2nd fill, non filtered at well as it messed up l our house water too much, so I had to use the "animals" unfiltered spigot. I added 7.06 lbs of stablizer after using Pool calculations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.