Attached Spa drain not working??

Jun 10, 2012
Boston, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all. I have an attached spa that suddenly doesn't work! For some reason, when I switch my valves to the spa setting (spa in and spa out) I get an insufficient amount of water moving into the pump (and then I have to turn it off). When I move the setting back to draw water from the pool, it works again. Any ideas?

Duxdweller said:
If it's clogged or partially blocked how would I un-clog it?
Make sure the valve is set to draw from the spa, then open the pump strainer and stuff a garden hose wrapped in a rag or a drain king in the pump inlet pipe and let 'er rip. If there's mud or whatever plugging the pipe, it should blow it out through the spa drain.
img.php

Thanks! I will give that a try. I assume that if the problem is a leak on the suction side, I might see the water exiting as well? Strange thing is - the spa has worked fine since I opened it in May. Just developed this problem this week for some reason. Since no-one has been digging; and it's been 85+ outside, I don't know how a leak would develop.

Ok - So I mucking around with it this morning, and it starts to suck in air on the pool intake side too. I decided it could be the jandy valve leaking. Turned the hose on and ran it over the valve - and the problem started going away. While I had the thing open, I decided to stick the drain king into the spa intake side. I've never used one of these before. Anyway, I noticed a "hissing" sound around the area where the intake pvc pipe joint is. Some water also coming up into the spa. No sign of a clog. Re-assembled the Jandy and ran the pool. 100% water coming into the strainer basket. Like new! Turned it to spa - not bad - not great. Some air is definitely coming in. I am pretty confident that it is the joint in the pvc on the intake side. The way this thing is plumbed, it will be a big time pain in the Rear to cut and replace. Any suggestions on "sealing" it for the time-being?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.