Is it normal to never have to Backwash?

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

At the end of last year I replaced my DE Filter with a sand filter. I have a 24k gallon pool but oversized the filter with a 27" to reduce maintenance. My expectations were that by doing so I'd only have to backwash once every 2 weeks. But to my surprise, I've never once had to backwash it at all this season. The pool was very dirty when I opened it, but it cleared out after a couple of weeks. It's been running for almost 3 months since. The PSI when I first turned it on (both this year and last) was around 12 PSI and it's stayed there ever since. The only time I've ever had to backwash was at the end of last season when I had algae that I tried vacuuming (not to waste). In that case the PSI jumped to 20 and after backwashing it dropped back to 12.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not complaining, but I am surprised so I wanted to double check to make sure it isn't possible that maybe the filter is broken and it's not actually filtering. Although...my water is always clear so that would be a surprise as well. Is this normal? I mean, the PSI hasn't risen at all. Maybe 1 or 2 PSI tops in 3 months.

Thanks

Ok, great! Thanks! My DE filter was a constant battle for me. At startup it took only hours before it needed a bump or DE replacement. During the rest of the summer it was at least once-a-week, maybe 2 weeks if I was lucky. This new once-a-season maintenance lifestyle is great.

Thanks again

*edit* Disclaimer: Since Richard's DE filter needed less cleaning than mine, it's possible that maybe I needed to replace the fingers on mine or maybe it was undersized.

woodyp said:
Totally Abnormal!.........Your pool is obviously toooooooo clean and algae free. Slack off some, you're making the rest of us look bad!

lol...I can't take all the credit. I threw on a Salt water system as well. Other than running the robot, skimming the surface, and doing a once-a-month shocking, my pool is maintenance free. I should stop talking before I jinx myself.

I have a fingered DE filter. When the pool is dirty it can be a ton of work but once you are clear, it's great. I love the clarity it provides and how quickly it does so. I normally bump the filter when I am near it checking my chemicals. As to backwash, I don't have any valve and I do not have a way to backwash the filter. I just clean the filter by taking it apart and cleaning the fingers. I can get the filter cleaned in less than 30 minutes.

JohnN said:
Woah, back up there. Why do you "shock" the pool every month? There is no need to shock on a regular schedule if you keep the chlorine at the proper level. What product do you use to shock, or do you use the SWG?

Actually, you're supposed to shock once a week with liquid or powder shock. I just haven't seen the need for that tight of a schedule, so I go once a month. The SWG has it's own super chlorinate you can do, but it doesn't replace the actual shock.

You have over 300 posts and you still don't get it? :scratch: Regular "shocking" is not needed nor recommended! I have never "shocked" my pool. And I'm not alone. Haven't you ever wondered why "shocking" a perfectly sanitary well balanced happy pool is needed?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
NullQwerty said:
Actually, you're supposed to shock once a week with liquid or powder shock. I just haven't seen the need for that tight of a schedule, so I go once a month. The SWG has it's own super chlorinate you can do, but it doesn't replace the actual shock.
I've been doing it all wrong! I've never shocked my pool in over three years! :pale:

I betcha if I start, I won't just be able to call heads or tails if I throw a quarter in the deep end, I'll be able to tell the year!

/endsarcasm

When I say "supposed to" I'm referring to the manufacturer instructions of the SWG. In practice I've found that if I leave my pool uncovered for 3 weeks straight in the heat of the summer, then the SWG can't quite keep up with the sun and heat and I'll get a little algae outbreak. I'm sure with the right balancing and care, it could be avoided, but despite my best efforts, I've never been able to achieve that. The level of effort and expense required for the once a month shocking makes it a non-issue anyway. With the pool covered though, I've found the shocking to be unnecessary with the SWG because the low chlorine level is sufficient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.