choosing a pump

dreon

Jun 18, 2013
Thank you all in advance for your assistance. We purchased a home last year that had a feature we wanted to avoid. We have now come to love our pool. We initially used the sole pool company to assist us but have since been managing it on our own with the easy help from you. Thus far we are pleased with our chemicals as far as function, cost and ease of use.
We now have an anticipated need to replace the pump. The pump is becoming increasingly loud and my husband believes the bearings are wearing out . I would like a more energy efficient system.
I have searched the forums on some guidelines for choosing a pump but I am not successful so far. Can you please direct or assist me in where to look, and also what factors I need to consider.

some basics
21k in ground vinyl pool
old functioning sand filter
2water returns
no floor drain
no water features or automatic cleaners(I might like one in the future)
currently run the pump 24/7 because we don't know any different, and it works well
Hayward maxflo self priming 1hp pump
1.5inch pipes

The least expensive thing to do is replace the motor with a 2 speed model the same size.
If you want to replace the pump, you can get a new Max-Flo in a 2-speed model and you won't have to change any plumbing.
If you really want to get adventurous you could go with a Max-Flo VS if you're electric rates are a little high.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I always advise anyone in the market for a new pump to only consider 2-speeds and variable-speeds. Two speeds have come down in price over the past few years to the point that many of them cost only slightly more than comparable single-speed pumps. With the energy savings that the 2-speeds offer compared to the single-speed units, the cost differential can often be made up within a single season.

When comparing 2-speeds vs. variable speed pumps, the general rule of thumb is that if your electric rate is $0.20/kWh or less, then the 2-speed pump makes more sense from a cost-benefit standpoint. Until recently, variable-speed pumps were usually 3 HP models that could be dialed down to a lower flow rate. However, manufacturers are introducing newer versions of variable-speed pumps that are worth taking a look at even if your electric rates are below $0.20/kWh. Here is a post that explains some of these newer lower-HP variable-speed pumps in more detail: A Pump Game Changer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.