Cloudy Pool-- New To All This Stuff

Jul 25, 2013
Here is the story.
Pool installed 3 years ago.
I've done good keeping water clear but I did not know the importance of keeping PH in check at ALL times. Scaling started to occur along with some staining. I used ascorbic acid to remove stains but I still have brown stains that look like dirt at the bottom of pool. Once I used the TF-100 kit, I discovered the CH was over 750. (This was after the acid wash) Did a partial drain and got CH down to 430. Refilled the pool, soaked the filter cartridrige is TSP, re-installed cartridge and noted PSI was at 14. I added Pro-Team metal magic Sunday. Kids went swimming Monday and after swimming I noticed water was getting cloudy. I let the filter run 8 hours Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday and water got worse. I did a full test today and my numbers are:
FC-2
CC-.5
PH-7.5
CH-430
Alk-80
I dropped PH and I am shock the pool with bleach. I also noted that PSI has climbed up to 18. (Keep in mind I cleaned filters while pool was re-filling) I am beginning to think it is time for new filters.. Especially since the current filters were not cleaned as often as they should have been. Filters are 3 years old. What do you think could be causing the cloudiness? Filters or pool needs shocking? Also, what could the brown stains be at the bottom of the pool. The ascorbic acid did remove most of the stains but the brown dirt looking stains did not move. Please HELP.

CYA = 40. Thanks.

It's time to SLAM the pool. First, I suggest you clean your filters again, they are doing their job collecting debris from your pool water.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School for starters, then read "SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain".

You have not kept enough chlorine in your pool. The SLAM process will fix that for you and your water will be crystal clear.

Please run the pump 24/7 during the entire process

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.