Slam complete 2 weeks later, need help with new test results

Jul 15, 2013
Nashville TN
First I would like to thank everyone who has so kindly helped me out with all my questions and posts. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

It took 7 days for my TF100 to arrive but here is where it is now

CYA 55 (tested 2 times was 50ish 60ish (I only used half the water on first test so repeated)

FC = 5ppm
CC 2.5ppm
TA = 185 1st was 190ish 2nd 180ish
CH = 80

I knew something was wrong from the first drop of reagent 009 coming out of the cheap bottle.
but I continued and was little perplexed on the TA being so high .. So I retested with my other DPD kit which I always used before and
TA = 110 (which is what I've been using for weeks and what it's been reading for a while now)

I am not convinced the 0009 reagent that came in the TF100 kit is in a good enough dropper to be accurate.
The reagent they shipped came in a very cheap dropper. As soon as I started using the reagent I was like dang.. these drops are small. I knew right away that something was not right. I am not claiming to be an expert but I know consistent drops when I see them I have been testing water for over 5 years.

My other DPD test kit is only a year old and I keep it inside the house in closet.. I am careful not to contaminate reagents and I don't think the kick in the reagent is diminished.

Anyways, I wanted to mention this because I am sure that there are new people who are not used to testing and seeing the size of the drops and this was 80ppm difference in reading because of the cheap dropper. In the TF100 kit there are so many different droppers I don't think a brand new person would know the difference.

Should'nt the 009 reagent drops not be the same size as the 007 & 008 or have I learned something new today?

Anyways, based on the readings and TA being 110 where do I go now? Its been two full weeks since the black abyss and now I can see the slope from the shallow to the deep. I stopped draining /filling last Sat due to rain and work. Every day seems to be a few more inches deep of clarity. I have not backflushed the filter in 6 days and it is flowing nicely.

SO AGAIN THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

what next??

Re: Slam complete 2 weeks later, need help with new test res

Were you wiping the tip after each drop with a damp towel?

R-0009 is especially prone to static electricity building up on the bottle during transport. Wiping the tip reduces the charge on the tip that causes too small drops.

This is from the directions in the kit you purchased......
3. Add R-0009 one drop at a time, swirling between each drop. Wipe the tip of the bottle after every drop with a damp cloth.
I think if you follow those directions you will have good success.

The dropper tips in ALL the one ounce bottles are identical and interchangeable. They come from the same supplier and are of the same batch.

The small drops in the R-0009 happen only when the chemistry is VERY fresh....it will go away in a week or so.

Please PM me to let me know of further complaints you have with the kit and allow us the opportunity to fix them for you.

Assuming you ordered the kit from TFTestkits, we deliver to Nashville in two working days.

Thanks for the tips..I will wipe tomorrow when testong and get a couple fresh readings. I am not sure who I ordered the kit through but will update. Regardless of the drops issues the quantity of the reagents are a good value. Thank you for your assistance I will keep you posted. Already I am glad that o I visited the site

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.