New pool is installed!

I sloped the water away from the pool and them had the deck built lower than most. I didn't want my deck the same height as the pool walls. I didn't want to feel like I am walking on the tops of the fence. I have since added a small deck, at wall height, in the back corner of the yard. I also don't need any railings on the main deck as it is less than 24 inches above grade, IIRC.

IMG_5164.JPG

I used the ladder, like yours, on my low deck for several years by removing the extender. I used it as an A-frame for several years before the deck.

IMG_4962.JPG

I added bleach, tested about an hour later and got 28 FC.
I am late to this thread, but that FC reading is with no CYA in the pool, is that correct? If so, that is much, much too aggressive for chlorine.

Clear up for us whether or not you have introduced CYA yet and let's get your FC dosages adjusted down right now.

Work on the leak issue after.

Yes, but FC was 8 with last check at 2:30. The pool co. just came and patched a hole in the liner and another guy comes at 5:30 to do the temp hook up of the pump and filter, so then I can look at getting it all balanced properly.

Guy - I like the setup! Hadn't really thought about the privacy fence not offering much privacy once a new deck is up. We have none on our existing deck, do I hadn't really thought about it. Difference is, I'm not hanging out on it in a bikini! Yikes! :oops:

If you have no CYA in the pool, that dose was w-a-a-ay too high.....I am not interested that it has come down (it's still too high, anyway).....I am suggesting you not dose like that again.....you risk damaging the liner.

Do you have any CYA in your pool???

No CYA with no pump, I was told. And following the advice here to bring it up to SLAM level which it stayed at for maybe 12 hours overnight. Don't intend on doing that again, but truth be told, I'd rather be dealing with some fade than green. It's part of their contract to get it all balanced, but then I'm going it my way (BBB)

Are they going to replace the liner? After the swim season?

If you are running the Intex pump for re-circulation, you could tie/bungie a sock (or a bra bag like me) with CYA in it to the end of the hose. One trick I had not heard of until this week was to take your long net pole and dangle the CYA from the middle of it, in front the water return

So, they basically said they'll be sending me a letter regarding the liner and that it is still fully covered under their warranty. Now I just hope the sun comes out for a while before the rain we're supposed to get hits so I can tell if it's drying up.

The guy who was supposed to come at 5:30 came at 4:30 and I was tied up on a conference call, so my husband worked with him. Said he added 16 oz of cal hypo, 14 oz of CYA in the skimmer, and a puck in the skimmer. I tested the FC a couple of hours after he left and got 10. (Before he got here, I had tested again around 4:00, and got 2)

So, this morning, I got:
FC - 12.5 (raising because of the puck?)
pH - something darker than 7.5 but lighter than 7.8
TA - 100
CH - 200

And I know I can't test CYA yet - but 14 oz and a puck should give me what?

Thank you all!

Duh... I hadn't scrolled down, thanks. So it was trichlor, and it looks like that means my CYA should be about 15.9 right now when I add in the 14 oz. bottle he threw in the skimmer. FC is currently 10, just tested. So, add CYA now or let the FC come down to target first?

We had a wet area like that following our pool install and I was sure that we had a leak. We marked the water level and tried to monitor it but it was early spring and it was raining, raining, raining. The pool installer told me that he thought that maybe some water got pushed out from under the pool. As the weather improved and the ground dried up, the wet area dried up too. We monitored the water level and were not losing any water at all. Sooo in our case, it appears that it was just some ground water pushed out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright, smart people! I'm back! We had left town for a couple of days, and when we got back today, here are the test results:
FC - 2
CC - 0
pH - 7.8
CYA - not registering on test yet, but according to the pool calculator, what was added would bring us to 15.9
TA - 280

So, the TA seems pretty high to me, and it could probably use some bleach. I do also have a gallon of Natural Chemistry Instant Conditioner that a friend gave me that could raise CYA a bit, according to the PC, by 43.

I'm thinking add 3 cups of bleach (what we have says germicidal - does that matter? I'll go get some if so), wait a bit, then add CYA. Our electric will be done on Thursday and we'll then be able to start with the SWG, so if I raise the FC up to 4 and maintain for now, and get more CYA in there, with the pH where it is, I'm good with high TA for now and can tweak it later. Thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff! Should I add the CYA now, or just hold onto it until I get the SWG running? I know for SWG, the levels should be much higher than what they are for a Non-SWG, which is basically what I'm working with now!

Do you have enough of the instant to get to the proper range ? Just remember to keep FC at proper level for the CYA level

Proper FC level is most important now until SWG up and running. Is the pump running yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Pump is running via extension cord, so yes. I also used the timer we used for our Christmas lights while I was gone and it actually worked out, pool was very clean when we got home, even with some wicked storms! In checking the CYA/Chlorine chart, I think I'll maintain the chlorine and up the CYA once everything is run properly. 15.9 is close enough to 20 where the chart starts that FC of 2.5-3 should be good for a couple more days, right? Sorry to bug you guys so much, especially with my husband being CPO certified... but I'm learning that as good as that looks on a maintenance guy's resume, it's yge same ideas you get from pool stores!

That's sounds good. Like I said the proper FC level for the CYA level is important.

Your starting to get a hand on this. When everything is up and running and water balanced it will be easy. Especially with a good test kit. Don't over think this stuff. It is easy.

Any questions you know where we are. Best bunch of people I've see on a forum !!

The permanent electric will be done Thursday which means we can start using the SWG! With CYA at just shy of 16, I've been holding the FC at 2 - 2.5, and it held all day today (Air temp was 77 degrees, full sun all day) so that makes me happy! When I tested this morning, the TA was 280, the pH was at least 8.0, if not higher. (I struggle with reading that properly - but it was bright pink - and 8.0 is as high as the thing goes - is there another way? I'm much better with drops and my Speed Stir than detecting variations of pink/red.)

I added some pH Down (sodium bisulfate) - I know I don't want to use it often - and the TA came down to 250 and the pH to 7.5. I think I need a couple more rounds of that - thoughts?

With the SWG getting fired up on Thursday, should I add the 1 gallon of Natural Chemistry Instant Conditioner (liquid) tomorrow, and hopefully just be able to jump right in with the SWG? I promise, the questions are almost over... Is this even the right stuff to use? It says "equivalent to 30% CYA" - wouldn't I want a higher % of straight CYA?

Liquidstabalizer_zps6f00e630.jpg

Once I know if I should use what was free or if I need to go pick some up, when should CYA be added - does time of day matter?

And finally, we put the solar cover on today, the water was a perfect 82 degrees, and the air temp has been dipping into the 50's at night. I'm scheduled for a staycation next week so that I can enjoy this pool for more than a few Saturdays before we have to close it up - I want it to be PERFECT!

Thank you all, as usual!

Leave PH alone. For the SWG you want PH to be 7.5-7.6.

I always used the granular stabilizer. It was 99% CYA. Time of day does not matter when to add. It will lower your PH a little. Pool calc at the bottom affects of adding chem's will tell you adding x amount of stabilizer will lower PH x amount.

Electric was done yesterday, I added CYA and salt. Went to fire up the SWG today, and get error messages (P = 50, A= Lo, U = 36.) Attempted the troubleshooting steps in the manual - verifying everything is plugged in tightly, etc, no idea why it's not working. Only thing I'm not sure about is the amps - Max is 2, but readout said 02 - which I understand, according to the manual means 0.2, so it's not getting expected Amps, maybe? And of course it's Saturday and electrician and pool store are both closed. Unplugged the SWCG and will just keep using bleach to maintain. Ugh. Nothing about this has been easy! *Edited to specify that I added granular 100% CYA that should bring me up to 70.**

Also - full test results as I know they're appreciated:

FC - 3.5
CC - 0
pH - between 7.5 - 7.8
CH - 340
TA - 220
Salt - 3770 (a little on the high side - but enough to be worried?)
Did CYA test for fun, and it did read 70! (now, should I be concerned since it should take a week?)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.