Cyclospora - another stomach bug in water (and food)

chem geek

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
San Rafael, CA USA
A stomach bug report is currently in the news as shown in the article Stomach Bug Sickens People in 3 More States. This is caused by the protozoan oocyst Cyclospora cayetanensis. More information about it may be found in this technical paper. It is also briefly mentioned in the CDC Effect of Chlorination on Inactivating Selected Pathogen article. It appears to be very chlorine resistant, similar to Cryptosporidium parvum though no specific CT value has been determined for it. As with most protozoan oocysts, it is extremely unlikely to be found in residential pools because it requires an infected person to enter the pool with diarrhea (something that some people unfortunately do in some public pools).

I am surprised to read this... and not. I was at a pool store that I don't frequent much getting some 12%. I happened to notiice they sold pool signs and I would like to get one since we are getting more neighborhood kids over.

I noticed one of the "Do Not" signs was strictly focused on diarrhea

diarrhea.jpg

Apparently it's Code in CA...
http://www.hoalawblog.com/2013/02/diarrhea_signs_and_others_now.html

Thanks, being in a state that has been hard-hit by cyclospora, I was wondering about if chlorine would kill it quickly. Do you all concur that 14 days is a necessary ban following "active diarrhea?"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.