POlaris 280 and Booster Pum Problems

Jul 25, 2013
I have had three different Polaris 280 Pool Cleaners in my pool trying to make them work. One an old one I rebuilt with new turbine bearings, another New in Box from eBay, and then a replacement new in box from a separate Polaris vendor.

Each of them worked for a little bit initially. Then the wheels stopped turning and the Polaris floated on top of the water with a small stream of water from the tail sprinkling the surrounding. On the third Polaris 280, I set it at the side of the pool in the water to count the revolutions per minute of the wheel as the instructions suggested. It went through a cycle with the reversing valve and did the wheel started turning and did not complete two minutes of wheel revolutions.

I took the pool pump to a pump repair service and paid $10 for him to verify that the rotor was firmly affixed and that the pump motor ran. I brought the pump home and reinstalled it in the system, disconnecting the swivel in the line and observed a nice stream of water coming out of the mid line swivel when I turned the pump motor on. I reconnected this new Polaris and could not make it do anything but sit still on the pool bottom when at the shallow end of the pool or hang freom its hoses when at the deep end of the pool.

I am using the red restrictor currently at the pool side (I had tried the blue restrictor and no restrictor in prior Polaris units in this trouble shooting cycle with no better results).

My main pool sand filter pump motor seems a little noisier than it previously had, but by now, I am a bit paranoid and not sure of what symptom to pursue next.

I guess I will try the local pool repair supply center for guidance next.

Perhaps the Trouble Free Pool forum can save me some money in this pool repair cycle.

My father-in-law always said "The man who owns a home deserves it" and we were never sure what he meant. I think the same logic applies to Swimming Pools :hammer:

Re: Polaris 280 and Booster Pump Problems

I had the pool repairman come out today. After checking the brand new Polaris and finding nothing mechanically wrong with it, he started checking the main pump that runs water through the sand filter and looking for air leaks in that the return line from the sand filter into the pool (and also supplying the separate Polaris pump water intake source). There were lots of air bubbles in the water coming into the pool. He took the next step of sealing around the sand pump inlet to its debris trap on its way into the sand filter.

This allowed the Polaris wheels to turn once again and we achieved some partial pool cleaning by the Polaris.

I think he was on the right track, but I think I still have some air leaks in the suction side of the pump system. My next step will be to try a new gasket on the debris trap at the input to the sand filter.

We are definitely making some progress, but not all the way home yet. It only cost me a $55 service call. :) :)

At least I have a new place to look.

At the pump filter basket the lid gasket usually needs silicone lube for a good seal, also the drain on that basket can leak as well. That's where mine was sucking air. Also on my pool if I let the water level drop below 1/3 of the way down the skimmer I'll suck air, I'm almost at that point now. But we're expecting lots of rain tonight so I'm hoping that will fill it back up as I have high TA and CH fill water.

Thanks for your response. I had the pool repair man out again as I had observed that moving the diverter valve (that selects either bottom of pool or skimmer basket or both as water intake sources) would create air in the line. My diverter valve is an older one with a spring-loaded port for injection lubricants into the face of the valve. We believe that is a major source of the air ingestion and have epoxied over the lubricant port temporarily until we can just replace the diverter valve with one that has Teflon seats and does not need lubrication. The temporary repair has stopped the air ingestion and my Polaris is now working like a charm, doing what its predecessors did so well long ago. I think I bought a replacement Polaris prematurely. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.