Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is the algae gone?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is the algae gone?

Had a minor algae bloom while I was out of town. Cranked up the chlorine, no longer have any combined chlorine, but the pool is still mildly cloudy. I can see the drain and "Mr. Sucko", but it is not the crystal clear pool I had before I left. If I let the chlorine level return to normal will the filter take care of the rest of the cloudiness or do I need to keep the chlorine levels high until it is no longer cloudy? Also, is there any advantage or harm to using some clarifier I still have ?
    Midland TX, 20,000 gal fiberglass, StaRite pump, cartridge filter, 3 returns, BBB second year

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is the algae gone?

From what I understand, the best way to tell if the algae is gone is if you can hold the FC overnight by not letting it drop more than 1 ppm. If FC holds, then algae is gone and you have to vaccuum brush and wait for the rest to filter through
    16 X 34 21,000 IG Vinyl Liner
    1 1/2 Hayward SuperPump
    New Sand Filter (had cartridge - hated them)

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is the algae gone?

branchop is correct!

re: clarifier: skip it. somebody 'round here says clarifier will clear your pool in 7 days, whereas filtering will take a week!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!