how to keep gaskets in place during liner install?

bgcole

Jul 5, 2013
hey all -

on the tail end of my liner installation, liner is in from intheswim.com. have almost all of my gaskets, waiting for one.

What i can seem to figure out is the best way to keep my gaskets in place when im installing the liner, mostly worried about my main drain and my light niche rubber gaskets. One article recommended rubber cement for the light, and screwing two screws into the main drain gaskets on opposing sides before the liner drops. Only problem with that plan I dont see any way to get those screws out when im working from the top side, im guessing theyre assuming 2 is enough.

The stairs im not so worried about because gaskets came with adhesive on them, but there are no holes obviously, so im not quite sure yet how im going to line up my screws into the existing holes in the FG stairs. when i put the plastic plate on the liner side i hypothetically i guess it would line everything up into the old holes.......

excuse the pun but any holes in my plan?

not saying this is right or wrong..but the guy that installed my liner waited to cut the holes for the return, skimmer, light etc until the pool was over half full of water..then he cut slits into the liner and folded the pool liner back into those holes..and then installed the gaskets, and fittings immediately. I think he did an excellent job.

That is also how my liner was done. I think you definitely want to wait until the shallow end of your pool has about 6" of water in it before cutting any holes in the liner.

So do you mean he folded them back underneath/behind so that essentially he would be screwing through two layers of vinyl?

I was planning to wait on all of those until there was a few inches in the shallow (basically when i do the stairs, but was planning to do the main drain when there is about 5" of water.

I spoke to a pool installer, im going to 3M spray adhesive the gaskets before dropping the liner

I did my own liner.

1. For the gaskets, I used an adhesive that was suggested for this purpose. dont remember what it was though but I think I found it here on this forum.

2. I did NOT put screws in, but if I had to do it again I would. I would put 2 screws in each MD, a couple in the stairs and a couple on the skimmer and a couple in each return. Reason is, it can be a royal nightmare trying to find the holes behind the liner. Yes, you can feel them if you try really hard, but doing that and having confidence that you are not jamming the screw in a spot it wasnt intended and having a hole in the liner where it wasnt intended was stressful! A screw head sticking out will be obvious!

3. To get to the screws in the MD, let water get about 6 or so inches deep. Then using an exacto blade slice right on the screw heads. Back them out and voila you have two perfect spots to start. Put those 2 screws in and the rest will be lined up.

4. For the skimmers, lights and returns. let the water get a couple inches below them before cutting.

5. The MD and steps were the worst. Adding a couple screws as suggested will make it much much easier.

6. For the light, I physically went into the water to do it. I did not feel confident that I could hang over the side, install the light and screw it without dropping someting in! It was bone chilling cold, but only took me maybe 10 mins and was worth it.

7. For the MD, I put my exacto, screws, screw driver all in a small box and slid it down the slope carefully.

Thanks for that breakdown - helps alot. Im most worried about the stairs honestly. maybe thats obvious because its such a big hole. Im building my plywood cover tonight

With this info, im thinking ill put 3 screws in each of the three plates, one at each end and one in the middle. That should line everything else up - but it will still be a bit stressful because the second piece of rubber wont have holes. Any specific tips on the stairs would be appreciated. I have a 50 ft roll of adhesive gasket.

My stairs were brand new, so i didnt have to install the gasket. The gasket was preinstalled, I then had 3 plastic strips that screwed into the gasket and receptor on the stairs. Im not sure what you are talking about about the second piece of rubber? I am assuming you bought all new gaskets for the steps and this rubber piece came with that?

I had no screws to start, the side ones were hard but not too bad. The bottom one was very difficult to find the holes. My wife and I got in on our knees and felt around until we were confident.

So starting with no liner there are the fiberglass stairs which have holes in them on the sides and bottom from the first install

over those holes, im going to install the rubber gasket (adhesive backing then put in the 3 screws each), then will drop the liner, fill to the base of the stairs. At that point I thought i was going to put another rubber gasket over where the first gasket was, but on the water side of the liner. then I place the plastic strips and screw through both gaskets

This is how my pool was when i took it apart, so i was going to duplicate that.

Its worth noting that i did not buy new plastic strips, im using the old ones, and plan to drill the screws back into the holes that are there.

Ok I see what you are saying. My install had the rubber gasket adhesived to the steps, liner set against that then I had the plastic strips that screwed into that. No gasket on the water side, just on the back side. Plastic strips water side went right against the liner then clipped the beauty covers onto the plastic strips.

It is very possible my plastic strips water side had a gasket preinstalled that I did not notice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did get it in. Everything went pretty well. I wished I put more screws in around the stairs before I dropped the liner. Would a made it easier.

All in all I'm happy.

Because I'm OCD I wish I made the sand smoother but it doesn't stop kids from having fun.

Sorry for the late reply...I wasn't subscribed.

This project was a lot of work. More than I expected

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.