Cartridge Filters

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
I have a Hayward cartridge filter. I put in 4 brand new Pleatco cartridges around Memorial Day.

How many times during the summer do those of you with cartridges clean your filters? My pressure hasn't gone up much at all but I'm wondering if two months or so is a long time to go without cleaning filter cartridges.

It's not a new pool. They were brand new cartridges when I put them in and it's only been about 2 months so my thinking is they will be ok for awhile before they actually need cleaning. The pressure hasn't gone up at all so I guess I'm ok.

I clean mine once per year (12 months operation). If the cartridge is sized properly, it shouldn't need cleaning more than that.

dschribs, for your pool, you should have at least a 300 sq-ft filter and if you had 425 sq-ft like mine, you might get away with once per year too.

JohnN, cleaning so often will shorten the life of the filter so you might want to increase that some.

mas985 said:
JohnN, cleaning so often will shorten the life of the filter so you might want to increase that some.
Didn't know that. I might get a new cartridge next year anyway, so I will start cleaning that one less often. When I first open the pool, I have to add a lot of well water, which adds a lot of iron. So I clean the filters every few days until all of the iron is filtered out. Then I go to about every 2 weeks, which I guess I will stop doing.

For the past few years I have been using skimmer socks early in the season when the tree pollen is high here in the North East. The socks every few days look like they are filled with yellow vomit. Much better catching it there than in the filter. As a result, my cartridges stay clean all year long. I used to clean them around the 4th of July. But now I don't even bother. They make it through the whole season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.