What size pump?

Jul 19, 2013
Runnemede, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We're going to be buying a pool at the end of the season. I've been quoted a package for an 18' round Aqua Leader Blues pool. The package includes a 1.5 HP Hayward. This is our first pool, and judging by what I've read on this forum and other places, this seems to be too big. Am I correct? If so, what size is proper for an 18 round? We're also going to do a SWCG.

I can't imagine needing a 1.5HP pump for that pool. My pool only has a 1HP pump. I'd think a 1/2HP or 3/4HP would be sufficient, depending on your filter.

Welcome to ttp, firefighter75 :wave:

I agree JohnT, that is too big of a pump for that pool. In addition to going smaller, you might also want to consider a 2-speed which will save you even more electricity since most of the time you would run on low speed.

Is it a pump and filter combo package and which one specifically (i.e. model #)?

Pump HP label ratings can be very deceiving especially for an AG combo systems.

mas985 said:
Is it a pump and filter combo package and which one specifically (i.e. model #)?

Pump HP label ratings can be very deceiving especially for an AG combo systems.

I have no idea. I only got a generic list of what was in the package. It just said Hayward 19" (I think) sand filter, Hayward 1.5 HP pump, and a bunch of other things.

I'll find out when I go back to show the wife what we're looking at.

I am not sure Hayward make a 19" filter...I see 14,16,18 and 21 in their offerings.

Hayward packages the 21 inch filter with the 1.5 hp matrix pump. That pump is too big for your pool. Imo it also would be too big for a 19" filter.

I went back to the dealer and got all the info again. I asked about the 1.5 HP pump being overkill, the salesman agreed and offered to sub the 1HP pump (Hayward model SP1592TL) and drop the price $100. The filter is also a Hayward (Model S180T). Added the AquaTrol SWCG. 18' round Aqua Leader Blues pool with beaded liner and Hayward Diver Dave vac. Total price with install is $4985.

That sp1592 is still very large for your pool (and that filter). If you still can, see if they will let you go with the sp15922, it is the two speed version of that pump. Most of the time you would run on low speed and save electricity (in the end about 1/2).

Not as good as the 2 speed option, but another better than the sp1592 single speed option would be the sp1591 (3/4 hp) single speed pump...or other pumps that are down in the 3/4 hp range.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I asked about the 2 speed and he said it would have to be ordered but we didnt talk about price. That'll be the next trip. Does the filter seem right? I have no clue.... Information overload is starting to set in!

firefighter75 said:
Does the filter seem right? I have no clue.... Information overload is starting to set in!

The S180T is the middle of the Hayward above ground product line. They make smaller, they make bigger. The size might be a tad big, but it's a good filter. I had the smallest one on a 15' above ground round pool many years ago and have a much larger S244S on my in-ground now. I am sold on sand filters. Super easy to use and maintain and does a great job. IMHO, DE filters are a mess and cartridges are expensive to replace and a pain to clean.

Here is the brochure for your filter line: http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/literat ... OABG11.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.