Low chlorine/No free chlorine

Not quite sure why the Chlorine/CYA chart shows a slight difference in SWG shock level for CYA of 80 vs the normal shock level for 80. The levels are the same for CYA of 60 and 70 (normal vs SWG). In any case, if you're draining more, its kindof a moot point. Good luck!

mark46143 said:
One more question when should I be concerned about PH, etc? After SLAM?
No need to worry about ph unless your SLAM goes a very long time, just adjust ph toward the low end (7.2-7.4) before the raising your FC to SLAM level. ph results are not valid when the FC is above 10 ppm.

mark46143 said:
Just fyi on SLAM- 10:30 PM Reading FC 41.5, 33 at 7:15 this morning.

Any particular reason why you dosed up to FC 41? While it probably won't hurt anything dosing a little higher than target (especially during the day) your SLAM level for CYA of 90 was about 35, and if I read it right you've drained more water since that reading. What was/is your CYA level after your latest drain?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, your new FC target for CYA of 75 during a SLAM is about 30. Dose it back up to that whenever you test and its lower. Follow the guidelines in The SLAM Process article as closely as you can and you'll be golden. Sounds like you're doing really well so far. :cheers:

Mark, you've been trying to reduce your CYA with dilution. Why are you using that shock treatment?

Did you check out Pool School yet? This is not going to come your way until you change something.

Brushpup - Im in the SLAM process. Im not trying to lower my CYA although I have drained water to get it down to the current levels. Im trying to get the organics out - my pool will hold FC.

With the most recent replies Im confused a bit and have a few questions.

So don't use powdered (almost) pure chlorine granular? liquid only? I didn't get from the pool school to use only liquid

I've followed the SLAM process (with the exception of liquid chlorine or bleach).

On SLAM directions it says;t is best to use bleach or liquid chlorine when SLAMing. You will want to have enough on hand to
raise the FC level to shock level at least a couple of times.

I measure the CYA with the TF 100.

Please let me know on the granular process and if I should do something different. Im 3 days in to this.

You should use liquid Chlorine/Bleach because the powders and pucks have side effects.

Some add Calcium, and some add CYA. Your CYA is already high and you'll make it worse with that type of shock.

You were trying to lower yours weren't you? I thought you removed water before for this reason.

It is in Pool School for sure. Here is one place it talks about powdered Chlorine. As you said. it does say liquid Chlorine or Bleach in the SLAM instructions.

pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

At your current CYA level I suggest buying and using Bleach or "liquid Chlorine. Buy plain, unscented, bleach. Walmart, Costco, Target etc. Some Pool and Hardware stores sell "liquid Chlorine".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.