Intex Pool Pump With GFCI Plug Issues

katt

Jul 22, 2013
We just recently put up a 22x52 Ultra Frame Intex Pool. Paid someone to level out the ground with a bobcat and had electrician come out install a GFCI receptacle to plug the pump into (required by building code). The pump already has a GFCI plug on it and when the electrician plugged it into the receptacle it would not work. He thought receptacle was bad so took that one out and put in another one, still wouldn't work. Plugged in another appliance and it worked. So they put in a regular receptacle and plugged the pump in and it worked. Electrician is trying to tell us that the two GFCI's wont work together. I'm not sure I believe that because when a plug my hair dryer which has a GFCI cord into the outlet in the bathroom with a GFCI outlet it works. I'm thinking something isn't wired correctly somewhere? We have to get this inspected per building code and it isn't going to pass as is. Electrician said I could change the end of cord to regular one, but that will void my warranty. Would like to enjoy the pool before summer is out so any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Sorry to hear you are having problems. We do have a few electricians on the board so hopefully they will be by soon to maybe give you an idea of the problem. I haven't had any problems with GFCI myself so I'm not the best person to answer why it's happening.

katt said:
Electrician said I could change the end of cord to regular one, but that will void my warranty. Would like to enjoy the pool before summer is out so any help is greatly appreciated.
Is he talking the warranty of the pump? If so I wouldn't worry too much about that, it's a hundred dollar pump. Would probably cost you almost that to send it back to get fixed under warranty. As long as the outlet is properly wired and will trip if there is a ground fault then I don't see the problem in doing this.

Yes, he meant the warranty of the pump. Your probably right about the cost to send it back. I didn't really consider that. I'm sure that the warranty probably doesn't cover shipping, but I can't find that stated anywhere in my literature that came with the pool.

I can almost assure you that the waranty will not cover the shipping. In fact, I bet they charge you some outragous fee to ship back to you. Probably enough to cover their cost of the pump.

GFCI recepticles sometimes don't play well together. When you said it did not work, did one of them trip off when plugged in? This is usually the common problem. As far as wiring them, there is only a couple of ways they can be done. One of them will work and the other won't. The incoming power feeds (line) have to be connected to the line terminals on the recepticle. If they are connected to the load side then it will not work. There is circuitry inside to prevent them from working in this orientation. also, it is important that the polarity be correct. If there is no power flowing by just plugging in and nothing tripped then it could be bad conections inside the slots for the spades of the plug (cheap chineese garbage).

It didn't trip either of them. It was just like no power but yet when other appliance plugged into receptacle it worked. I' m thinking I should just go ahead and have the electrician take the GFCI plug off the pump and put a regular one on. I'm probably going to upgrade the pump next year anyway but I was afraid that if they swapped plug ends it might not work. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: charliej
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.