When is it time to resurface/replaster?

Jun 11, 2012
Hey ya'll

Moved in about 2 years ago and got this awesome pool. However, I'm starting to notice some etching and plaster wearing away. Pool is 15 years old. From the pictures is it time to get a resurface? I know I should just call and get some estimates, Roughly what are we talking here in terms of cost??? I'm in Houston. Are we talking 5k or 10k or 15k??? Also would they have to replace all the tile around the pool or can they salvage that? I assume the tile on the stairs would have to go. I assume I have different surfaces to choose from as well. is there any long-term damage to the pool from not resurfacing and just letting it get a little worse before I get around to it?

The first picture of the shallow area is the worst. Otherwise the bottom looks pretty good throughout the pool. There are only 2 quarter size spots in the whole pool where i can clearly see the dark surface (gunnite or cement) under the plaster starting to show through. The sides have that etching look to them where it looks like there's a stain, but its clearly just the finish wearing away.

Thanks for any advice or comments!

Shallow spot looks the worst.
[attachment=2:3cbyc1ps]Pool 1.jpg[/attachment:3cbyc1ps]

You can see the etching in the walls
[attachment=1:3cbyc1ps]Pool 2.jpg[/attachment:3cbyc1ps]

[attachment=0:3cbyc1ps]pool 3.jpg[/attachment:3cbyc1ps]

Attachments

• Pool 1.jpg
    Pool 1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 218
  • Pool 2.jpg
    Pool 2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 215
  • pool 3.jpg
    pool 3.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 211
Here are some general guidelines:
  • 1. When the plaster begins to delaminate and blister. Note that this should be distinguished from calcium scaling which is usually not indicative of a need to replaster.
    2. If the plaster has worn so thin that gunite can be seen (this appears to be happening in your pool)
    3. Visible cracking.
    4. A sudden loss of water and all plumbing has been eliminated as a cause. Usually one or several of the above items will appear before this happens.

While the plaster is basically irrelevant to the structural integrity of a pool, the underlying gunite structure is quite relevant. Exposed gunite is not good; It will weaken if ignored. It can allow water to weep through and could make its way to the rebar and begin rusting it.

If the currently exposed gunite is in a relatively shallow area of the pool (thereby requiring only a partial drain & refill to apply the plaster), you could look into patching it in order to buy some time. However, if I were you, I would begin planning for a full resurface given some of the signs you are seeing.

The good news is that the wall tile should be able to be retained, assuming that is your preference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.