Black algae

azali

Jul 24, 2013
New to forum.
I don't see a lot about black algae but I did see something that was saying not to use black algae killer. I have a pool service. He says he has kept the chlorine levels up but the black algae is spreading. I was going to get a product and he said he would add it and scrub the algae with a metal brush. Now what I'm reading here makes me wonder what the right treatment is.

Please let me know. Sorry if this is already here, I don't have time to go through every post.

Thanks

Scrubbing with the metal brush is the correct way of getting rid of it. However a once a week pool service isn't going to cut it. You need to brush it more than that.
Also, there's no telling how high your CYA is and therefore you may not have nearly enough FC in the pool to keep it from spreading.

You'll do yourself a favor by reading Pool School and learing to take care of your pool yourself.

Thanks......I took care of the pool myself for 45 years, including acid washing it MYSELF. I am no 68 and am not up to doing it anymore. I thought I saw here that one shouldn't use an algicide so wanted to know what to tell the pool caretaker.
Nevermind.

Welcome to TFP!

We don't recommend algaecides because, by and large, they aren't needed. A properly chlorinated pool doesn't get algae and doesn't need algaecide. If you have black algae in your pool, your pool service isn't cutting it. This is why we suggest taking care of it yourself using the methods suggested herein.

You could see if the pool service was willing to just come by and do the heavier labor items such as brushing the pool, cleaning the filter, etc. If you handle the chemicals yourself, it's just adding some chlorinating liquid or bleach every day or two. On the other hand, if that's too heavy to carry, then if the pool service uses the chemicals, they may need to use an algaecide to prevent algae growth because they are only dosing once a week or are using Trichlor pucks which build up CYA over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.