High CYA, CH, and Metal

jp12

Jul 24, 2013
Dallas, TX
I recently bought a house with a 12,000 gal pool and have been studying this site to learn how to take care of it. I just got a Taylor test kit to check the water. The issues I need to address are high CYA ( approx 200 ), high CH ( approx 700 ), and high metal content ( heavy stains on steps and light stains on walls that clear up with vitamin C ). My plans are to drain and refill between 50% and 75% of the water to bring down the CYA and CH, and treat the metal stains with ascorbic acid and sequestering agent.

I need advice on where to start. My initial thought was to deal with the metal stains first so all the metal will be sequestered in the water before draining. However, my tap water's PH is over 8.0 and I am concerned that the stains will come back as soon as I refill and require a second treatment.

What do you think? Drain first, ascorbic acid first, or something complete different? Thanks.

I would treat the stains first and then drain the water. That way you'll get a lot more of the metals out of the water permanently. You will lose some sequestrant, but dumping all the metals you can would be worth it to me.

jp12,

Welcome to the forum. :lol: You are off to a good start. You understand your issues and know what to do about it. Bama's sequence makes great sense to me and I don't think I would have thought to do it like that.

He is a smart guy but please don't tell him.........he'll get a "swell head" and quit helping dummies like me. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.