LED Lights: 110V vs 12V

Bama Rambler said:
With LED lights, getting the brightness isn't an issue as the voltage is stepped down for the lamps anyway.
Now we are talking!
So each 110V LED unit has a transformer (to 12V?) built into it. Which makes it prone to go bad because of a surge spike (then probably the whole light needs to be replaced, very $$$).
So my rationale says go with ONE 12V transformer and TWO 12V pool lights.
In addition, having separate 12V transformer will allow me to wire another low voltage features such as landscape lights!
Thanks again for the insight!

Your rationale is not quite correct. There is enough electronics in the arrays themselves that having the transformer separate won't really help the failure rate. Also you can't connect landscape lights to the pool lights and still meet code.

Bama Rambler said:
Your rationale is not quite correct. There is enough electronics in the arrays themselves that having the transformer separate won't really help the failure rate.
Maybe... But based on my experience transformer fries first.

Bama Rambler said:
Also you can't connect landscape lights to the pool lights and still meet code.
That's the bummer :( Why can't they share the same transformer plugged into GFCI outlet?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.