New Doughboy Pool - Comments Welcome

TaraMM

Jul 18, 2013
Royse City, TX
Hello, I am new to this forum but so thankful I found it before I purchased an AGP. I came upon it as I was searching the internet for information on the best brands of AGP. Just this morning I received a quote on the setup below.... please tell me your thoughts (good and bad accepted). I would much rather know now before I purchase than later. Thanking you in advance!!!!

24'X16" Autumn Breeze (we plan on counter sinking in the ground at least 2 ft with wood deck around it)
20 mil EZ Clip Liner ...(Madrid, Evening Star, Majestic, or Trinity)
Filter - Pentair Sand Dollar (SD35)
Pump- Pentair Dynamo 3/4 HP
Skimmer- Doughboy Standard skimmer ... it would cost $80 to upgrade to the larger size (Doughboy Classic Skimmer)
Deck ladder- It is the 200200T model made by Main Access. (350 lb. weight limit)

What would you change to make this set-up better? I do intend on using the BBB method.

If you have any restrictions on water or backwash, a cartridge filter may be a good choice.
I think that pump would be fine, but they're probably going to upgrade the pump too. If they do, be sure to get a 2-speed.
I prefer the larger skimmer, but that's just a personal preference. I'm sure the standard skimmer will work fine.

Go for a big sand filter, 2 speed pump, wide skimmer and.. a deep end!

2' buried w/ decking is exactly what I would do (along w/ deep end assuming budget permits).

My bottom is sand, so naturally I always wonder if we should have had a foam bottom put in.

I just linked a build in my reference thread that's a dough boy buried w/ a deck.

I don't have a deep end and don't really miss it. If I were jumping in the pool, I might... but I enjoy the fact that the kids have the whole pool to play in. If I had a bigger pool, I might consider it. I have a depth of 4 feet over the whole pool.

In a 24x16 pool, the deep end would not be very big as I think you need to leave a 3 foot shelf at the base of the wall and then you need to slope the deep end so it would be 10 feet at the widest top edge and only a couple (5?) feet wide at the deepest. If you stay flat, you can use a simple Aquabug to clean the floor.

TaraMM said:
Just not really sure it is needed... I am only 5'1 and our daughter is 4yrs old, so we really didn't think it would benefit us any. ??

Kids love to jump in pools, she won't be 4 yrs old forever :) . Don't you have any other friends and family that will be enjoying your pool with you? I'd add a deep end :p .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had the 28' round version of the Autumn Breeze installed this past May and wrapped up the deck surrounding it last month. I'd recommend a couple things...

1. If you can swing it, I'd take a look at installing a Vermiculite or Pool Crete bottom instead of sand. We have a sand bottom and stayed out of the pool for 2 weeks to help the bottom settle but I can still feel the sand move under my feet a bit when I push off. The price of the Vermiculite or Pool Crete was a bit steep so we passed.

2. I would highly recommend a deep end. Our shallow end is about 4.5 feet and the deep end close to 6 feet. If I'm not mistaken, the Autumn Breeze comes in a 48" or 52" wall height so you're probably looking at a depth of 42" to 46" without the deep end - probably too deep for your 4 year old to touch the bottom. Our daughter just turned seven, can barely touch the bottom and she has a couple of friends that can't touch the bottom - we have them wear life jackets if they can't swim. To help a bit with the little ones, we purchased a wedding cake style step - the Confer Curve Step. This allows more than one kid to sit on the steps at a time if needed. My wife and I really enjoy the deep end and while you can go as deep as seven feet, we decided not to as the actual size of the 7' deep end would have been very small due to the slope needed to go that deep. We didn't think anyone would enjoy standing on that big of a slope and would turn into wasted space when we have parties and such. The deep end opens up some other possibilities also, like a slide. We're already talking about adding one next year.

3. Not sure where you live but you may decide to add a pool heater later. When my electrician ran the electric for my pool, he also installed an underground natural gas line and capped the ends. If/when we decide to add a heater, the gas line is already there and saves the cost of trenching it in later.

In the short time we've had the pool there are a number of things we didn't think we wanted but now are leaning towards installing next year... the slide and heater are just two.

my thoughts: I wish I could ditch the doughboy brands of skimmer , return and pump just because of their weird size molded barb fittings. it makes hard plumbing the pool much harder. would they be willing to offer other brands of that stuff? also with their pump and filter I have not found any place other than a doughboy dealer to buy parts, so you don't get much in the way of price competition.

So let me ask this of you guys/gals....
What do you think would be the ideal setup for a 16x24 oval pool as far as the pump, filter, etc? :)
Please be as specific as possible since I am pretty new to all this terminology.
thanking you in advance for your help. :)

Well, my husband, daughter and I went to one of the local pool stores late yesterday afternoon to look at the pool they had installed.
Now I am second guessing the size I want... I looked at a 28' round palm shores by doughboy and it looked nice. Does anyone have this
pool? Any comments regarding round pool vs oval pool? Thanks...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.