fixed speed, 2-speed or variable pump on a new pool build?

Jul 21, 2013
The PB we are leaning toward is pushing fix speed 2-hp pumps. We are building IG, pebble pool with large spa and water feature (approx 22,000 gal). PB does not like 2-speed due to the reduced flow rate (less flow/less filteration). His argument against VS is the same plus the intial cost factor. We do not want to add cost to the build if it isn't going to be used, but we do not want our electrical bill to be out of control. PB is going with all Pentair equipment.

Re: fixed speed, 2-speed or variable pump on a new pool buil

From what I have read on the forum,lower flow rates actually can filter better than higher rpm. While higher flow rates may be needed to have effective skimming action, it is not needed for effective filtration. With a 2 speed or VS qyou can run at high rpm for skimmer and low rpm for filtration. I am sure the experts will weigh in.

Everything wildcat said is correct. What is your electrical cost? Getting a single speed is silly, unless you plan to run the water features all the time.

Builders do not seem to really grasp how the pools are used or how to maintain them. Why do they care what you pay in electrical costs?

Electrical cost is .109. I am trying to learn as much as I can before signing/deciding on anything. PB is putting one pump on pool/spa and one on water features. The thought is matched equipment to allow a pump to be interchanged in the event of a failure. A 2-speed seems the logical answer but the PB is stating otherwise. Thanks for all your help and hopefully I make the correct call. After this I need to decide on chemical control (not doing SWG due to natural stone), lighting (LED or not) and filtration. :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.