Did my dealer oversize the pump and filter?

Jun 27, 2013
I just had a new radiant freeform installed (will post pix soon). So they came to do the mechanical stuff today. I had to run out, but when I returned I saw this monstrous pool filter sticking up ABOVE the pool wall (54") by at least a foot! Total eyesore. :shock: Pool guy says thats common with AG pools, but that just does not seem right. We are newbies, but I have done some research...

The pool is about 13,000 gallons, no deep end. It is built into a hillside so one side is inground, the other is completely out. They installed the following:
Pentair 2 hp pump
Sparco cartridge filter 200 sq ft

I think the pump is oversized by 2x and that this filter system is not such a good choice. Any advice please? Should i request a new brand of either? Am i right about the sizing? I need some help before I go to the pool store to plead my case!

I am by no means an expert, but if you check out other posts on this forum the prevailing opinion is that bigger is better with pool filters. They run more efficiently and you have to clean them less often. I just had my filter replaced on a 12,000 gal IG and went with a 425 sq ft to replace the worn out 300 sq ft. If you can afford the bigger one it seems to be a good choice. The replacement filter may cost more but you should have to replace it less often and the pump ran more efficiently while you had it

Pump is oversized, filter is good. See the charts in this thread. It is recommended to double the cartridge size listed, which would be 180-something sqft. According to this article, you shouldn't need more than a 1/2 hp pump, definitely not more than 3/4 hp.
I don't have any experience with Sparco, so I don't know if it is a good brand.

JohnN said:
Pump is oversized, filter is good. See the charts in this thread. It is recommended to double the cartridge size listed, which would be 180-something sqft. According to this article, you shouldn't need more than a 1/2 hp pump, definitely not more than 3/4 hp.
Why do you recommend a 1/2 HP pump and you have 1.5hp with essentially the same size pool as the OP?

I would tend to say the pump is too big, but would be acceptable if it is a 2 speed, even then a 1 or 1.5 HP 2 speed would be more appropriate, if it is a 2 HP 1 speed it will cost a fortune in electricity to run. As to the filter, can you post a model number, I am not sure what you have there, but at 200 sq ft I would question if it were large enough.

Ike

Wildcat said:
JohnN said:
Why do you recommend a 1/2 HP pump and you have 1.5hp with essentially the same size pool as the OP?
Because I bought the pool long before I found this forum, and just took what Branch Brook sold me (well, actually my dad did.) And I see no reason to replace a pump that is currently working fine just to save a little on electricity. When the pump dies I will definitely get a smaller one speed or a slightly smaller 2 speed.

Cartridge filters are more narrow and tall than sand, correct? I believe most pics I've seen of cartridge are taller and less wide.

I don't have any problem with my 2 hp 2 speed pump. Next pump might even be another 2 hp (2 speed) unless 1.5 hp is significantly cheaper. I'm not sure what the flow threshold is for my heater (which runs fine with the pump on low speed). I'll probably get another 2 hp. [when it's time to replace the current one]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.