Green "algae" on the bottom, but clorine levels are good??

finydb

Jun 5, 2013
I just tested:

FC: 3.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.8
TA: 120
CYA: 40
24x12 AG, 8000 gallons

It kinda just looks dirty (and it might be?), but I just vaccumed 3 days ago. I've been testing every day, and adding bleach. I just added 32 ounces of bleach and turned the filter on high, just to stir it up some. It is kinda windy today, and my husband is stirring up lots of saw dust working on the deck. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but my water has been CRYSTAL clear since I started this pool a month ago with BBB. We had a LOT of rain last week, but I've been treating it when the levels get low.

Any suggestions?

556998_10151764470606944_149741892_n.jpg

Re: Green "algae" on the bottom, but clorine levels are good

Raise the FC to 10ppm and do the OCLT and then you will know if it is consuming FC and thus need to SLAM the pool.

A FC of 3.5ppm is pushing the minimum :whip:

AWESOME! Hadn't heard about the OCLT, but totally makes sense. Thanks for the links. I'll go test again in 30 minutes, and in the morning, and see what's up! Thanks again!!

.............BE4444444444444444444444..................Sunrise! Set your alarm!
Nice deck build in progress there btw.

Well, the fc is 6 this morning. I ran my vaccum all night, and got in the pool and kicked up the bottom. So, I guess I don't have a problem?

Thanks for the Compliments on the deck. My husband is working really hard on it. He's never done anything like this before. We'll have two steps up to a 4 foot platform level with the pool.

My pooi is partially shaded by two trees, and we have dogs that like to swim. My daily routine includes sweeping the pool to stir up what has settled out at night, and netting all organics (leaves etc.) that have fallen into the pool. Every other day I have to vacuum to get what hasn't been filtered out from the sweeping.

What type of filter do you have? If it's a cartridge, you can check the filter for what color the crud is on the media. If it's a sand, capture some of the backwash water in a clear container and let it settle out. Either of these will tell you if it is just dirt and/or construction debris, or anything else that is getting filtered out.

You can also smear a little of whatever it is on s piece of white paper or card to check the color.

However, the OCLT is the definitive test for anything in your pool that would consume FC. So, if your water is clear; CC=<.5; and FC loss =<1, you have passed the test.

Sawdust, being a wood byproduct, is an organic that can be broken down by chlorine. It might be a good idea to use the vacuum on a daily basis while your deck construction is ongoing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.