First time with any trouble...should I drain or SLAM

May 28, 2013
Southern PA
So my tiny pool has been perfecto this year since being on the BBB method after a horrible 1st year last season. I check daily or every other day depending on use and weather. It's been pretty crystal clear. Well we have been slammed with storms over the past 3 days. On Friday evening we went swimming and the ph was a little low but I added some borax and was fine. I tested Sunday through the heavy rain and levels just needed a tiny adjustment. I have been keeping the CL a little high due to all the rain. I just went out because the sun came up and I pulled the cover back to reveal cloudy water. It's not horrible but I don't want to swim in it. You can see the bottom with no problem etc. CL is basically 0 and PH is down to 6.8 Should I drain and if so ...all the way or half? Or should I get PH up and then SLAM it? Feeling a little frustrated because the next few days look like they will be pool weather and we might not be able to use it. This is why I'm thinking it will be easy to drain. Opinions???

If it were me with only 800 gal, I would drain and start over. I think that would be easier. You can SLAM it also. If ya catch it quick it will go faster. You'll have to decide.

Just my 0.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Well depending on where you're at in Southern PA, a storm is on the way. Drain now and hope the rain fills it for ya.

I too vote drain.

Well we are about 1hr nw of DC but everything is cleared off till Saturday according to the weather. I think I will drain.

two questions. 1st question is where can I buy cheap JUST a tester for CYA? I used all I had in my kit and I would rather not spend $25 for a bottle of it which is all I can find on amazon. I will have to use Dichlor to reboot my CYA levels to 30 again before I start using bleach.

2nd question is do I need to drain it 100% or can I do 3/4 etc?

When I had a pool that small, I would sit on the air ring until the water was out and then I would re-fill it. I didn't worry about the little bit at the bottom. I also found using just bleach was easier than worrying about the CYA creeping up on me. It also meant I didn't have a floater in the pool for my little girl to play with.

For your 6-way kit, you can order CYA refill from TFTestkits for $7.50

147.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I figured that with the K-2006, which uses 7 mL each time, it would be enough for something like 70 tests. Now for something I haven't figured out before. If my pool is open for 3 months, and I test once a month, it will last 23 years. I never thought of it like that... Maybe that is a little excessive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.