CYA Finally Down to 33 - Now Best 3" Tabs To Use

Apr 23, 2013
After 4 months of tons of Rain, a Leak in My Pool, and a lot of Refill, my CYA went from 133 to 33. It's time for me to start using 3" Chlorine Tabs again. I was told the Tabs Walmart sells for cheap are made in China & you really don't know what the Ingredients & their Percentage are. I want to make sure I buy decent tabs that won't send my CYA through the roof again. What do you guys recommend? Who do you trust? Thanks in advance.

To pile on, since I already typed it ;)

There is no such thing as a tablet that will not send the CYA through the roof ... they all basically add the same amount of FC and CYA.

Your CYA is in the correct range now ... so stick to using liquid chlorine.

Ok. But if my CYA gets any lower, than will I need to raise it? With all this rain I'm afraid it will deplete completely by end of Summer. At what point will I have to add CYA? And what's the best method?

jblizzle said:
To pile on, since I already typed it ;)

There is no such thing as a tablet that will not send the CYA through the roof ... they all basically add the same amount of FC and CYA.

Your CYA is in the correct range now ... so stick to using liquid chlorine.

Isn't there a Cal Hypo tablet from HTH(?) that only adds calcium along with the chlorine? :roll:

First you CAN NOT put cal-hypo in a chlorinator that has previously been used for trichlor ... could go BOOM.

Second, there are a few tablets that are cal-hypo, but I think I have heard that they tend to dissolve very quickly and fall apart ... they are not a good solution.

My concern is for when it gets Lower than 30.
Adding an occasional tab would cause it to go up by how much, say if my CYA was 25?
I'll never go back to Tabs completely (I'm happy with Liquid Chlorine), but surely if I add a Tab every once in a while, it shouldn't raise CYA past 50, as long as I keep an eye on it & Test frequently.
I'm just thinking for the future. I don't want it to get so low that my Liquid Chlorine is no longer effective.
I'll never make it get past 40 again. Believe me. I learned my lesson from you guys & gals. I consider myself Lucky to not have had to Drain a substantial amount of water. I won't press my luck. :)

Use the poolcalculator ot answer your question ... with a 28k pool, one puck will not add much.

Well, I had it open and already set to 28k ... so one 8 oz trichlor puck will add 1.2ppm of CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: CYA Finally Down to 33 - Now Best 3" Tabs To Use

Gotta remember the math here, with your CYA low your splash out loss is low too. At 30 you need to lose 2800 gallons to lower your CYA by 3. It only takes 2.5 tabs to raise it by 3. The losses aren't hard to replace.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.