Wondering about pool store advice

Jul 12, 2011
London, ON, Canada
The pool has been working fine this year. A bit of algae earlier that cleared up with a shock and now no CC. I did notice some corrosion on my ladder and looking at my Taylor wheel from my 2006 kit, my index seems to be about -0.7? Pool Store said -0.9? Poolcalculator said -0.8. All those numbers seem too low to me and I understand are a risk for increased corrosion?

Temp 87
FC/CC 4/0
pH 7.3
TA 80 (pool store got 70)
Ch 120 (pool store got 130)
Stabilizer 30 (this year I had to add more stabilizer for some reason)
Salt 2900

Clearly I need to add stabilizer (about 2 kg), which will drop my pH a bit as well. Looking at the wheel, it seems that raising my Ch to about 200 will raise the index, so that's also my plan (8 kg), along with a bag of salt to raise my CL to 3100 or so. I must admit that I don't understand why I shouldn't keep my Salt at 2700, since my SWG allows function as low as 2600. Why have salt closer to 3500? save electricity?

Pool store says 80-120 for TA, but TFP says 60-80 (what I've been doing) and that it's important, but not why it's important.

I also plan to raise my pH with 1/2 kg of sodium bicarbonate, but I guess I will need to add even more when the cyanuric acid dissolves.

Lastly, the previous owner left a huge container of something called Gen R 8 "Conditioner", which claims to be "a blended product that recharges sodium, maximizes chlorine effect, protects chlorine and enhances water conductivity", but has no chemical list. What is this and how can I use it up instead of throwing it out?

tturkstr said:
Lastly, the previous owner left a huge container of something called Gen R 8 "Conditioner", which claims to be "a blended product that recharges sodium, maximizes chlorine effect, protects chlorine and enhances water conductivity", but has no chemical list. What is this and how can I use it up instead of throwing it out?
It's salt. Sodium chloride, and less than 1% CYA.
http://www.mursattchemicals.com/pdf/gen ... d%20cl.pdf

Since you have a vinyl pool and don't have much CH, don't even give the "index" a thought.

Keep your pH between 7.2 and 7.8 and the TA between 60 & 80 and it will be fine. Mine's so low that it reads -infinity!

OK, sounds good. What do I add to increase my pH?

The pool calculator says washing soda or soda ash, which I thought was the same as sodium bicarbonate. But my bag of sodium bicarbonate says it will raise the TA, and doesn't mention pH. I want my pH up by 0.3, but my TA is fine.

Thanks

I don't have an SWG so have not followed the exact reasoning for the TA 60-80 being suggested for SWG pools vs TA of 100 for liquid chlorine / bleach pools, but it has something to do with the pH drift induced by running an SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.