Very Frustrated w/ Autopilot & Electrician - HELP PLS

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
So I thought everything was going to go smoothly since the electrician hooked up the SWG today with the help of Sean's nice diagram.....

wrong......

I went to turn the pump off tonight and the on/off switch is directly connected to the SWG. Ok, so how am I ever going to be able to turn my pump off after it cycles and leave the power on to the autopilot so it does not lose its digital interfaces?

I am really wondering if this guy has ever done electric for a pool. I know some of these old timers are lost with today's technology...it seems he is one of them. Before he left, he told me the SWG has to be powered on all the time so it does not lose what is in memory...well, doesn't he know he has it connected to the pump????

The autopilot is currently wired to operate low/high speed of the pump vs on/off.

As he was working today I had asked him about the Intermatic 1353, which is able to program a dual speed pump. Would this be the correct timer to use?

I have ZERO electrical understanding, so I guess I am wondering even if he adds the intermatic clock, if it will power off the pump and not the SWG.

Here is a picture of the electrical panel as of today.

As of right now, I have no salt in our pool so my purifier is at 0%.

Our solar panels also have yet to be installed with that small control box....oh no...

DH and I are wondering if we should take our losses and have someone else finish for us.

Please help me!!

(I am also having a problem with my Whisperflo DS pump, should I post a separate topic for that one? I feel like such an Rear with all of thes issues pool people have left me with...they are such a breed)

nupoolsean,

You should have posted this with the your original thread. In fact, I bet one of the mod's will be by soon to do just that....

I'm confused by your electrician's installation. Didn't Sean indicate that an external timer was needed to accomplish what you wanted? I don't see a timer anywhere...

I'm also not sure of how your pump is presently operated? Is it solely through the PoolPilot right now?

Unfortunately, we're about to undergo a TFP systems upgrade where whatever answers are posted here for the next 24-48 hours will be lost when the new TFP software goes live.

Titanium

nupoolsoon said on: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:07 am
My understanding was/is if you power off the autopilot whatever settings are in the digital reading will be deleted and you will need to reset the settings each time.

Jasonlion - are you saying that the initial settings will remain even after the power has been turned off for 12 hours?

My electrician had an external timer and the tech at AP told him he could not use an external timer so he took it off. The timer was not made for a dual-speed anyhow, but he was told by the tech to remove it. I think AutoPilot techs need to have some add'l training, I wonder if it was the same tech who told him to wire it 3 different ways last Friday and then diconnected himself.

QuadDE80 filter
Autopilot SWG DIG-60
7 4x16 solar panels

DaveNJ: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:48 am
My timer turns the Poolpilot on and off. The pump is controlled by the poolpilot. The settings remain as set. Even with power turned off over the winter.

JasonLion said ond: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:00 am
Yes, the AutoPilot will remember all of it's settings even after it has been off for months. One of the configurations listed in the manual has the AutoPilot turned on and off by a timer.

You don't need a timer designed for a two speed pump if you are going to use the AutoPilot to control which speed to use. The timer goes where your on/off switch is now and controls when the pump is on at all. Then the AutoPilot controls which speed to use. There are a number of other ways to set it up. This approach is one of the best ways to control a two speed pump.

nupoolsoon said on: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:07 am
Thank you for the clarification.

I figured a time clock could go in place of the on/off switch itself. Do you think it is a relatively easy DIY job to swap it out? Not me or Dh, but my BIL seems to be fairly handy.

I will explain to the electrician that he can use timer and it does not need to be two speed capable, but two settings per day (my preference).

QuadDE80 filter
Autopilot SWG DIG-60
7 4x16 solar panels

Strannik said on: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:13 am
i would install timeclock between on/off switch and pump/Autopilot
that way you have the additional option of turning everything off with the flick of a switch

JasonLion said on: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:19 am
Some time clocks have a very simple on/off switch, so no need for the on/off switch. Others don't and a separate switch is handy. If you do keep the on/off switch, mount the time clock before the on/off switch, so that the timer continues keeping time even when everything else is off.

nupoolsoon said on: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:40 pm
Do you have an Intermatic model number you can suggest?

Thx.

QuadDE80 filter
Autopilot SWG DIG-60
7 4x16 solar panels

JasonLion said ond: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:09 pm
P1102FE for 240 volts or P1103FE for 120 volts are both very good. To save a little money you can look at the mechanical versions, T101R3 for 120 volts and T104R3 for 240 volts.

There are many other variations with additional features if you are interested. But any of those should be fine for what you are doing.

Poolsean said on:: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:35 pm
Nupoolsoon,

Not that I mind seeing all these issues with your installation, but it doesn't appear to be totally an AutoPilot issue... not including the customer service problem you mentioned...
But, would you mind having your husband, electrician, or whomever you wish, CALL ME when they are ready.

While you're getting great advice and answers here, it may just be easier on your stress level to have me work with your installer or electrician.

I am available all day tomorrow to receive your call.
954-325-3859

AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators
http://www.autopilot.com
http://www.aquacal.com
[email protected]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.