Easytouch setup / wiring help

Galun

Apr 14, 2011
Hello. I have decided to upgrade my suntouch to easytouch. The quality of instructions in the pentair manual is well known, so I would like to get some help / confirmation from the experts here.

My list of equipment consists of a 240V intelliflo VS + SVRS pump, a 240V raypak gas heater, one 120V intellibrite light, a 240V peristaltic pump for chlorine, and one valve actuator. I am going to add easytouch and intellichem to the system. In the future I want the keep the option to add intellichlor and relays to control landscape lighting.

My plan is to purchase the easytouch 4 with the intellichlor transformer. The wiring would be as follows:

Power:
1) From subpanel, 240V 50A GFCI breaker to the easytouch load center.
2) In the easytouch load center, one 120V GFCI breaker for the easytouch transformer and intellibrite.
3) In the easytouch load center, one 240V GFCI breaker for intelliflo and peristaltic pump.
4) In the easytouch load center, one 240V GFCI breaker for raypak gas heater.

I already have 1x 120V GFCI and 2x 240V GFCI breakers for my existing equipment. So the question is really whether I need an extra GFCI breaker in the subpanel feeding to the easytouch load center, when all the beakers in the easytouch load center will use my existing GFCI breakers.

Relays / others:
1) Relay 1 in easytouch: filter pump.
2) Relay 2 in easytouch: intellibrite.
3) Relay 3/4 in easytouch: future landscape lights.
4) Fireman's switch in easytouch: gas heater.
5) Intellichem: external pump 2 connection, in line with the load side of the peristaltic pump.
6) Intellichem: I am getting the one pump + acid tank kit, and I don't think I need to do anything on that side.

Future expansion for intellichlor if we go salt water:
1) In the easytouch load center, add one 240V GFCI breaker for the intellichlor transformer. Do I need another 240V GFCI breaker to power the intellichlor transformer?
2) Wire up intellichlor to intellichem and easytouch.

Does this look like a good plan? Thanks!

Lots of info here, but ill take a crack at it. See my comments in red

Galun said:
Power:
1) From subpanel, 240V 50A GFCI breaker to the easytouch load center.

a)Consider running 100 amps from the main. 50 amps is ok, but its really underpowered for any upgrades you might want out there.
b) You dont need a GFCI breaker on the main or sub panel to feed the easytouch.

2) In the easytouch load center, one 120V GFCI breaker for the easytouch transformer and intellibrite.
a) Pool light needs a dedicated GFCI breaker
b) Run your Easytouch power off a 15/15 amp tandem breaker. Takes up only one slot. Easytouch xformer doesnt need a GFCI.
c) use the other half of the 15 amp tandem for a convenience outlet on the side of the box.

3) In the easytouch load center, one 240V GFCI breaker for intelliflo and peristaltic pump.
a) this is fine

4) In the easytouch load center, one 240V GFCI breaker for raypak gas heater.
a) dont waste a breaker for this. Just wire it up on the load side of the pump relay. It only pulls 1 amp.

I already have 1x 120V GFCI and 2x 240V GFCI breakers for my existing equipment. So the question is really whether I need an extra GFCI breaker in the subpanel feeding to the easytouch load center, when all the beakers in the easytouch load center will use my existing GFCI breakers.

Future expansion for intellichlor if we go salt water:
1) In the easytouch load center, add one 240V GFCI breaker for the intellichlor transformer. Do I need another 240V GFCI breaker to power the intellichlor transformer?

a) nope. Just wire it up to the pump relay, load side, along with the heater.

Thank you.

Is there a benefit to GFCI at subpanel, then GFCI breakers in the easytouch load center? I already have 1x 120V GFCI and 2x 240V GFCI. I need the 120V for the pool light. If I can wire up one 240V GFCI breaker for intelliflo, peristaltic pump, and heater, then I have one left over anyways that I can put in the subpanel. I will have to go back to check the amp rating but I believe I have at least one that's pretty high, 40 or 50A.

Love all the other suggestions, especially the tandem breaker for convenience outlet. Didn't think of that. Thanks.

bk406 said:
Galun said:
Thank you.

Is there a benefit to GFCI at subpanel,.

No. The Easytouch load center is a subpanel, basically. You dont feed a subpanel off the main with a GFCI breaker, so you dont feed the Easytouch that way either.

Got it. I understand it now when you put it that way. Makes total sense.

bk406 said:
You still should consider running more power to the ET box.

Ok. 240V 100A breaker to ET box, then GFCI breakers in the ET box to the pool equipment.

There is actually already a subpanel from the main panel in the pool equipment pad. That subpanel feeds power to my storage shed, lights for the pool house, outdoor outlets, and all the pool equipment.

Actually, now that I am re-reading the advice... Looks like the advice is to run 100A to the easytouch load center so I get future upgradability in that area. However, I think I already have 100A from my main panel to the existing sub-panel. The easytouch load center will connect to this existing sub-panel, so I guess the easytouch is the sub-sub-panel?

How many amps should I run from this sub-panel to the easytouch load center? Probably just need enough to run pool equipment and landscape lights (that I want controlled by easytouch relays)? Looks like the pump draws 16A. Heater 1A. Stenner pump 1A. Intellibrite <1A. Intellichlor is only 1A. So pool equipment is about 20A. Maybe I should just do a 40A breaker from the sub-panel to the easytouch load center?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.