Help Deciding on Salt System & Variable Speed Pump

Jul 11, 2013
Puerto Rico
Hi!

I have a 25ft x 8ft "capsule" shaped inground pool with a 6ft diameter Jacuzzi that cascades into the pool, pool is 3ft in the shallow end and 5ft in the deep end.

I am starting a complete revamping of the pool and the first stage will be to change to a Salt system and add a Variable Speed Pump, preferably Hayward as I live in Puerto Rico and the other major brands do not have the support and parts availability that Hayward does.

I have been doing some research and I like the Hayward Aqua Plus System (as I can control everything and add remote control) as well as the Eco Star Pump. My DE filter is a DE3620 which will get re-vamped with new O-rings, valve & ribs and a 1.5hp Pump.

Would this be a good combination of equipment?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

y_not doesn't clarify but is asking for electric rates (I assume) because a VS pump is usually not justified unless your electric rate is pretty high.....a 2-speed pump is often a better option.

duraleigh said:
y_not doesn't clarify but is asking for electric rates (I assume) because a VS pump is usually not justified unless your electric rate is pretty high.....a 2-speed pump is often a better option.

Yup, sorry. It's 5am here, dog tired and can't sleep. :sleep:
Does Hayward even make a 1.5hp vs pump?

Sailor21, are my calculations correct in determining based on your dimensional specs, that your pool is 5600gal?
Minus spa of course.

Thanks!

Indeed. The Electricity Bill is a great motivator.
According to the standard calculators, both pool & spa total about 6,500gal, so, yes, pool alone should be 5,600-5,900

How about the Salt System?

The main problem I have in terms of reliable advise is that almost all pool stores here are just wanting to "push" what they have in stock. They also seem not to want the easy $5,000 plus sale as they are not offering prices nor calling back. Too bad for them as I can buy the equipment in Florida.

Since you mentioned Hayward as having good support in your locale you should consider their Goldline Aqua Plus or Pro Logic. That will give you the SWG plus some automation for your VS pump and other equipment. They have many different models, one should meet your needs.

So have you seen the new smaller VS pumps from Hayward? They may be comparable to your existing pump as far as running the spa and not be the huge expensive EcoStar. Can you provide more details about your current pump?

One issue is the the new SuperPump and Max-flo VS pumps do NOT seem to integrate into their automation systems. You could stick with controlling the pump, using its built-in timers and just get a Aqua-rite instead of the automation.

The Aqua-plus is IDENTICAL to the Pro Logic P4 except the Aqua-plus comes with the cell, and install unions and flow meter. The Pro Logic PS4 adds control of an additional valve and has more flexible programing for "batch" modes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the support!

I don't have much info from my pump as the pool was built in 2001 and I purchased the home in 2008. I have gone by measurements and labels.

I have decided on the Eco Star. Power in Puerto Rico is set to go over the $0.30kW/h (when you total your bill) within the next few weeks so I'll probably have my return on investment within a year. I will get all fresh grids, O-rings and maybe the air relief valve for the DE Filter (DE3620) and install the Aqua Plus with Remote Control. At the moment I don't want the valve automation but will install the valves and make sure the Aqua Plus has the capacity to operate them so, in the future, if I want to add the valves to the equation, I just have to add the actuators.

As Jblizzle says, Pro Logic is pretty much the same. But the company I'm purchasing this seems to be more knowledgeable of the Aqua Plus (they do have both units in stock and price difference is minimal).

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.