bonding and grounding the pool

Mar 6, 2008
i am getting ready to install my 18' 52" agp and i was wondering what steps are involved to properly bond and ground my pool. i already have plans for a gfci outlets for the pumps and swg. what else can i do to make this shock-free??

I hired an electrician to wire mine in, (way too many inspectors in my yard during installation), he used a green ground wire to connect the outlet (he also pounded in two very long grounding rods) to the pump motor grounding screw, to the heater, and to one of the pools bottom upright plates with a lug.
The inspector didn't like my rope lighting I had installed under the top rails, but he left, I kept them up.

Call and talk with your inspector. Mine were pretty friendly. When I applied for the permits they gave me a couple pages of information on NEC Article 680. Check and see what code cycle you are on, we are on 2003.

What I had to to was put a copper lug on the wall and a lug on the top rail. Connect them with a #8 solid bare copper wire, then connect the wire to the bonding lugs on the pump, and the SWCG. I did not need to bring the bonding wire into the outlet or circuit. Bonging and grounding are two different concepts. You also need to bond all metal within 5 feet of the pool like a fence, aluminum siding etc.

As for grounding it depends on how you power your equipment. I have my pump and SWCG in my garage so I ran the equipment of the sub panel in the garage that is feed with 4 wire 220 from the house, with its on grounding rod.

Honestly the best way is to go talk with your inspector, don't be afraid of them, tell them you are a home owner who is just trying to make a safe pool for your family and the should help out. The key is to be upfront with them and dont try to pull any shady work. The key is to be safe not cheap.

This is the bonding procedure and you can do it yourself...It cost all of 12 dollars for me to do. Inspector said it looked good. See below...

It was really quite easy to do...I showed Frustratedpoolmom how to do it. I just went to Home Depot and bought about 10 feet of #8 solid copper grounding wire...Check your local code...as I re read my manual it did have intructions for how to do this. But basically there is a brass pressure fitting on the back of my Hayward pump right below the on off program switch...you loosen the pressure screw on that and slide the number 8 solid copper wire into the slot. then tighten the screw. After that you run the other end of the wire to the part of your pool where the walls are bolted together. Undo one of the nuts there and put on a similar brass fitting also bought at home Depot, and replace with the same nut that you just took off. Attach the wire in the same way to the fitting as on the pump...You are bonded...Poolmom has pics...maybe she will post them here so everyone can see how it looks...I passed inspection no problem...Electircal guy said he could not have done any better. It really is that simple.

CubbyBeave!!!

By the way poolmom...do you have the pictures still that we took of my pool? Posting them might be a good idea!!!

I also had the same issue when I had my pool put in. But mine is a little different from the others. My pump is double insulated, so to keep up to code which states that if you have a double insulated pump you do not have to bond the pool to the pump. But you do have to run a bonding wire from the pool to an area that is close to your pump just in case your pump is replaced with a pump that isnt double insulated.

I just bought a bonding lug and a self taping screw and put the bonding lug on the bottom rail and screwed (from the top not the side) into the bottom rail then ran the #8 bonding copper wire underground to the area of my pump.

With the double insulated pump you still have to bond anything that is metal that is within 5 ft of the pool so you just bond them together without being bonded to the pump (With double insulated pump) and you should pass code no problem.

Brian

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.