Welcome to TFP!

You are already on the right track by wanting to check into things before buying/installing a pool.

If you or your wife are at all hesitant about a pool, you can get a seasonal for the first year or two before pulling the trigger on a more permanent installation.

When you decide on a pool, it would be a good idea to read through Pool School, linked in the upper right of these pages. Read through it several times.

You will note that having a good test kit is paramount to successful pool operation, so don't skimp on this one very important piece of pool equipment. http://tftestkits.net/ had the best value in testing equipment for home pools.

Tell us a bit more about yourself, where are you located (put location in your profile so it will show up on every post) , what type of pool are you considering, what sort of yard space and budget are you dealing with, etc.

Ike

I'm in kenner la, looking to spend about $35k. Going with about 450sqft lagoon with a four deck jets and bubblers on tanning deck and two sheer descents. LED lighting with auto control system and salt add on not sure abiut the number of lights was told to go with two but was also told the one 5g intellibrite will do just fine. Also thinking of going with the pentair challengar pumps. I'm in between a pool guy and the diy, the pool guy giving me a fairly good deal and I've seen a few of his jobs. But just doing what I have to do to save cash we have four kids so u know how that is

Welcome to TFP

This has been my go to many many times since i bought a pool. I am all about diy, and everytime I needed to fix something somebody has already done it here. Just searched forums and read, If I can't find what i'm looking for, I post my question.