So, how long will a vinyl liner inground last?

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
So, how long do they really last? 5 years? 8? 10? the 25 year warranty period? what can i expect if i buy one?

and what is the scoop on it bleaching out with the BBB method? ive heard the "chlorine users will bleach their liner with a few years" line from a few, im not seeing how this would happen, especially if it was poured about 2 feet or so out from the edge and into the return flow like i do.

and while we are on the subject.... steel or poly? seems to me that the steel would rust eventually..... but wont poly warp too?

gtnos said:
and what is the scoop on it bleaching out with the BBB method? ive heard the "chlorine users will bleach their liner with a few years" line from a few, im not seeing how this would happen, especially if it was poured about 2 feet or so out from the edge and into the return flow like i do.
I can only comment on this one: 100% pool store bull. It's a common lie they tell to try to sell people on baquicil or other alternative systems.

My liner is plenty fine after 6+ years, my father's is fine and he is even pool stored.

theres no set in stone number on the longevity. I replaced my 20+year old liner 7 years ago and im not sure if I will get another 7 years out of this one. as far as bleach ruining your liner its mostly propaganda by the poolstores unless you are adding way too much lol. my frame is steel and yes was a little rusty when liner was replaced we just sanded it and primed the rust spots with rustoleum good as new

The semi-myth of liner bleaching has been shown to be the operator's fault, by not dosing correctly. I.E. just pouring the bleach in without any circulation.

Looking around the forums here, and at another forum, in-ground vinyl can be expected to last 10-15 years. Possibly longer, if the water is kept clean, clear and not overdosed with any chemicals.

Poly would probably be your best choice. No, it shouldn't warp, if the pool is backfilled properly.

Keeping ph in the recommended range is very important for extending the life of a liner. Low ph is very hard on vinyl liners.

As been said above, letting any chlorine source sit in high concentration against the surface will bleach that area which is why pouring it into the the return stream is so important to ensure it mixes well. In addition, following the chlorine/cya chart

I would say liners last from 1-30 years depending on quality, water issues, level of abuse, quality of installation, number of bugs in your area, likelihood of nutgrass and other invasive weeds....

Its about the same as "how long an automobile lasts". It is a an exceedingly variable answer. Not trying to to be flip but there are too many variables involved

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.