Adding DE after EACH backwash while shocking?

stricttime

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 26, 2010
DFWTX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Quote from TYGSBIASO sticky: "DE filters will often need to be backwashed a couple of times a day for the first day or two."

Does that mean I have to add 12 scoops of DE medium (my normals) each time I backwash? That's a lot of DE. Just want to make sure.

BTW, shocking pool for first time in 4 years! Never had a bit of algae until this week :(

Yes. You can not run water through the filter without DE for more than a few minutes (especially when the water is dirty) or you will clog up the grids with debris.

Is 12 scoops the recommended weight? After a backwash you usually only want to use about 80% of the recommended amount since the backwash is not that thorough:
use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html

I would say you only need to backwash if you are getting the pressure increase that justify the backwash that removes your DE. I have a Hayward that can be bumped to "re-generate". It redistributes the DE so the pressure go back down. I have not truly "backwashed" my filter. I take it apart and clean it. The need to completely dump and re-fill only happen if you are filtering a "swamp" with a DE.

I have good luck if I shut the pump off, let the algae and junk sink to the floor of the pool and then vacuum to waste.

that said, I have had to change the DE several times in a day IF the swamp needs to be cleared. Yes, it took a whole bag of DE to do this but DE is relatively cheap (relative to other filter media costs)

The company that installed my pool instructed me to add 12 scoops of DE after each backwash. If I can get by with less, I'd be happy.

I don't have a swamp. Just algae growing on the walls a little bit. Had my nephews in town last week; despite the outdoor bathroom, not sure they ever used it.
My test results this morning:

FC 4
CC 0
CYA 60
Ph 7.4 (lowered for shocking)

Added bleach and am waiting to test again. TPC recommended a shock value of 18ppm. Will brush the walls in about an hour.

Ok, so I need 6 lbs, according to the manual. The manual says nothing about adding less for a backwash; in fact, it refers back to the chart in the start up section. Can I get away with 4.8 lbs?

I looked at the instructions for Jandy DEV 60 and it appears they assume you back wash the filter 1-5 times until 100% of old DE is washed out of the filter.

I guess is depends on how clean the backwash made the filter.

I find I am happier just opening the filter and cleaning the grids (fingers in my case) with a hose before rebuilding the filter and adding a 100% charge that I know is 100% clean. It only takes me 30 minutes of so to do this. I do NOT have the same filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.