how to remove vinyl liner inground pool

toy187

Oct 5, 2012
Hi all! I've read and learned alot on this forum thanks to everybody here!

I'm currently having an issue with my inground pool with a vinyl liner. This is an old pool with wooden boards. The problem is that I've had my liner replaced a few years ago. When the guy came to change it, the new liner didn't fit in the tracks that were already there so he installed new ones. He screwed these into the wooden boards. I guess most of you are guessing where I'm going now... the liner isn't coming out of the tracks... the tracks are coming off the walls! In one spot the gap in the separation between the tracks has gotten so wide that it has even started to tear the liner a little bit.

Last week I figured I would lower the water level a little, take the liner out of the track and add some screws. I lowered my water a good inch or two below the skimmer and started trying to remove the liner from the track (using hot water to loosen it up/strech it a little bit)... unsuccessfully. Is there a trick to this? I've tried looking for info on the internet but all I can find is either how to put the liner back into the rails or how to completely remove the liner by cutting it up with a knife. Neither of these are what I need. Do I need to start at the skimmer and work my way from there?

I called up the store who sold me the liner and he wants to charge me to fix his shoddy install work (tracks are coming out in a few different spots, liner around skimmer has never been installed properly). If I can remove the liner I'm pretty confident I can fix the rest but I cannot figure out how to do that. Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

Another little detail about this shop is that he's often trying to sell me calcium for my pool, if I've understood what I read on this site correctly, this is useless for a vinyl pool, right?

Re: Liner tracks/rails getting loose

FamilyGuy said:
Wow that stinks im sry to hear about your problems with your install. Yes ch is almost useless in a vinyl linered pool

The "almost" should be qualified. If your vinyl liner pool has fiberglass steps and low unchecked CH level could problems with the fiberglass steps.

Re: Liner tracks/rails getting loose

I don't have fiberglass stairs, I have one of those drop in metal/plastic ladders. According to what I've seen sold in stores, the materials used most often for this type of ladder are stainless and plastic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.