should I be concerned at Chlorine level (too high)

Richard_S

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
SW France
Just arrived at our house - which some of you may already know is rented out most of the time - to find a clear pool but with FC at 15-16ppm

I left the pool open in the sun all day today - 5 kids been in and out most of the day - temperature of pool is 28C, temp in the shade is about 35C, so bright sunlight. Tested using DPD kit this morning and the FC was at 15ppm. Tested the pool this evening and it was still at 15ppm. I thought it would have dropped but it seems not.

CC - 0
CYA level is 60
TA is 130
CH is 140
PH is about 7.6-7.8 but reckon it's on the high side due to chlorine - although marginal.

I have installed a new Pool Pilot digital, which I am still trying to fine tune to produce the right amount of chlorine, (I've also installed a new Hayward Max Flo VS pump, so lots to play with!) The pool cover was on for 24hrs including during the day preceding my 15ppm result, so would this have raised the FC to this level so quickly? Also, how long can I expect the chlorine levels to remain above 3ppm (reckon this is about right default level? or should it be about 5ppm) with the cover off and the sun shining?

I assume you mean CC not FC where you show FC=0

Is the SWG running?

As to suggested levels refer to the CYA / Chlorine chart pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock which shows you are above suggested, but still way below shock level, so swimming should be safe.

I would suggest you test again tomorrow and post your results, and confirm if the SWG is running / running too many hours per day..

Ike

Plug your numbers into http://www.poolcalculator.com/.. don't forget to make sure your pool size is changed at the top. It will show you what your pool test levels should be.

Looks to me like 15 FC is below your shock value, so safe to swim in.

With an SWG and a CYA of 60, your FC should never be given a chance to drop below 3. I would keep it a bit above that for safety sake and peace of mind.

If your SWG is running, it will keep your FC levels up. With a FC of 15, you may want to turn your SWG off for a day or two... don't forget to test, and let your level come down a bit.

Isaac-1 said:
I assume you mean CC not FC where you show FC=0

Is the SWG running?

sorry, yes...typo... CC is zero FC is 15 have edited it, thanks!

SWG is not running, as am trying to lower chlorine level. Will test again tomorrow morning and night and report back to see if the level drops at all. Shock levels according to the chart are 24ppm, so well below this.

How are you measuring a FC of 15ppm with the DPD test that maxes out a 5ppm?
If you are diluting, you are losing accuracy and that may be why it appears to not be dropping.

jblizzle said:
So you are using a powder? That is the FAS-DPD kit ... the DPD test is different ... thus the confusion.

:oops: my apologies...I knew that something was missing!! Yes, powder in a 10ml solution then adding drops until solution goes from pink to clear. just done a test this morning - and if I was doing overnight shock test, I would be happy. Overnight no change from 15ppm, but then I kinda expected that. It does confirm though that there is very little if any demand on the chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.