Staining from Trichlor puck?

Jul 12, 2013
Spring, Tx
I have several stains in the bottom of my pool. All of them start at about 3" round and have a comet like tail heading toward the main drain. This is obviously where someone in the past has tossed trichlor pucks directly into the pool. What kind of stain would this be? I would expect to see pitting (and do) but not staining. Any ideas?

3 inches, brownish stains with a bluish outlining tint? I could be wrong of course, but I wonder if someone dropped 3 inch pucks that contained copper down there, like the HTH super-guard or whatever name they go by this year. Maybe test for metal stains?

Donldson said:
3 inches, brownish stains with a bluish outlining tint? I could be wrong of course, but I wonder if someone dropped 3 inch pucks that contained copper down there, like the HTH super-guard or whatever name they go by this year. Maybe test for metal stains?
Exactly my thoughts, too.

Do you have some dry acid? You could put some in a sock, dip it in pool/hold it on the stain for a couple minutes and see if it clears.

This guy was way too generous. He left me with triple digit CYA, mustard algae, a plumming leak, and now copper as well. I wish I had tested for copper. I would have drained the pool completely instead of just reducing the CYA and then SLAMming. :x

Some people don't deserve a pool. Too lazy to even use a floater!

You might want to go to a Poo... Pool... Pool St... (such a dirty word, I can't even say it) and get your pool tested for copper. I think they usually get that test right. Have you already drained and refilled to lower the CYA? If so, that would have lowered your copper level, too.

I dropped it down to 45. There was no way I could do a mustard SLAM with triple digit CYA. I never did actually make it all the way to mustard levels. I had to hold at about 75% for a longer time frame. It's super tough to hold a pool at 40ppm FC. It's likely what caused the copper to make an appearance. Nice to know that the partial drain might have saved me even more staining.

I'm due for a replaster so I may do a full drain in the off season and get a nice shiny white finish and a fresh batch of water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.