Hayward's DE filter will not vent air/water

FamilyGuy said:
Unscrew it from the top of the filter and use a tooth pick to clean out the gunk that has built up in the small opening( happens to me alot!!!)

I have tried to unscrew the top, does not seem to want to budge any suggestions? I had a sand filter that came with a tool.

duraleigh said:
The relief valve will unscrew independently from the filter top, if I understand what you are saying.
My luck with plastic, is it usually breaks.
I will try again. The instructions say to remove the entire top to twist counterclockwise , using the flats. Do you know if it is couterclockwise?

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/ProGrid-DExx20.pdf

Were you looking to take just the MAR off, or the whole lid assemble to the filter? I think you could take the clamp band off the belly of the filter, lift the lid off and then reach inside and clean out the bottom of the gauge. I think the removal of the MAR is uncommon and it requires a very large wrench.

I don't have this filter but another Hayward DE. I do not have a MAR.

I have one on top of my Hayward DE filter and it is also clogged I think. It used to shoot air out and then really shoot water out with force. The air still comes out when I have it open but only a trickle of water comes out.
I am afraid that if I break it we are in big trouble. My pool guy is so busy I have no idea when he could get here. He is redoing everyone's pools and equipment after Sandy and is reportedly swamped. Anyone who flooded lost all their equipment and many pools had damage
We didn't flood, we only had a really really full pool.
Should it be easy to turn and I am assuming that I would do this with the filter off. I read somewhere that if you don't do it right you can wind up with it flying into the air.
I wish I was a little more daring with this stuff. I just hate to break it.

Are you willing to release the belly band? The big black metal one. It's a 3/4 inch socket wrench that's required. Remove the bolt and spring, remove the clamp (tap on it to make it loosen up) and then take the head of the filter off. I have heard some people turn the pump on for a second to loosen the lid. My lid/head comes off pretty easily but is a little heavy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
O.k. So the vent can be separated from the rest of the unit, BUT the "wing nut" will fall into filter, luckily top comes off and wing nut was on top of filter.
Cleaned out, and replaced, including the o ring, I lost somewhere. I had it but it must have come off one of the many times I had to reseat the whole thing, trying to get a tight fit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.