What's wrong with putting tabs in the Skimmer?

Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Walpole, MA
I have a Hayward Chlorinator that I put Leslie's Chlorine tabs in. Of late the FC levels have been going to Zero, no matter what setting I have the chlorinator at. Earlier in the season it was 5 and above all the time and I couldn't get it lower...so who knows what's happening. While I'm trying to figure that out, what's the worst that can happen if I put the tabs in say an old pair of nylons and put in the skimmer basket?

When your pump shuts off, the tablets keep dissolving and can damage the skimmer.

More than likely your chlorinator is clogged or your CYA has gotten high enough that the pucks can't keep up with he beginnings of an algae infestation.

Much easier to just use bleach.

Tabs are acidic. The pump should run 24/7 with tabs in skimmer to prevent acid damage to skimmer and a glut of acid to equipment once turned on again.

We can guess you problem, but if you give us a full set of test results and tell us how you got them, we can help.

You didn't ask, but my guess is your pool is over-stabilized from the use of tabs and adding more tabs will only make things worse.

John T - when you say easier using bleach...isn't liquid bleach not as concentrated as the tabs and as such harder to increase and maintain the FC levels? I'm probably way off, but I think I overheard something like this while in line at Leslies.

Are the tablets still dissolving in your chlorinator? If not then it is a clog, but if they are still dissolving then your chlorinator is working as it should and you have something in the water, probably algae, eating your chlorine. Putting the tablets in the skimmer basket won't help if your chlorinator is working properly.

If you are on the verge of an algae bloom a traditional shock is probably not going to fix it. We created the SLAM process as a way to quickly and effectively eliminate pool problems such as algae. You should take a look, it could end up fixing the entire problem: Shock Level And Maintain - SLAM

Dimes said:
John T - when you say easier using bleach...isn't liquid bleach not as concentrated as the tabs and as such harder to increase and maintain the FC levels?
I will take this one for him: Not at all. Keep in mind that it takes time for tablets to dissolve, so it could take hours to increase FC levels. Meanwhile I could pour in several gallons of liquid chlorine in a minute and it will circulate raise the FC in the pool within minutes. Then there is the difference between what trichlor tablets add to the pool chemistry (CYA) and what liquid chlorine adds (salt).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.