Talking to contractor, backfill and liner stairs questions

Jul 18, 2013
I read a couple threads on here about backfilling with rocks and gravel so that the concrete does not crack or pavers settle. I have been mentioning this to a couple pool builders and they look at me like I have two heads! One guy felt that the rocks might damage the pipes for the pool. One felt it was a waste of money. One said to just back fill with sand and let it settle for 6 months. Pretty much every pool I have ever been to has cracked concrete so is everybody doing it wrong? If I put in a pool and don't put in concrete how can I close it for winter?

I also love the look of the vinyl liner over the full pool width stairs. Problem is many think this is going to create liner problems for me and be a headache. Something about the expanding and contracting and 90 degree angles. Is this true?

Lastly I'm not sure if I should be asking for polymer or steel walls. Reading threads on here it seems to be 6 to 1 half dozen to the other but these pool builders have strong opinions on which one is "better".

Thanks!

Re: Talking to contractor, backfill and liner stairs questio

Backfilling with soil is a bad idea.....it will settle. Backfilling with sand is not so good either as it is easily washed out.

Backfilling with a washed rock (about 3/4" diameter on average) will not settle and generally will not need to be compacted so concrete can be poured right away. Installed properly, it will not crack pipes, but soil and/or sand can.

Many PB's do not understand the importance of a correct backfill and that's why you see so many cracked decks.

What city and state (climate) do you live in? That can have some influence.

geoffm24 said:
I live in the Springfield, MA area.

Up here in Massachusetts, have them back fill with about 2 feet of 3/4" stone, then top it off with whats called "processed gravel". Anybody up here will know what that is. Have them plate compact the processed gravel in 18 inch lifts. It will be hard as iron. Stone from the bottom up to the top is a waste of money, IMO, when you can get processed gravel. I've tried to explain what the stuff is to people down south and they dont understand what it is, but its used all the time for backfill up here. Dont use sand or plain fill dirt.

geoffm24 said:
If I put in a pool and don't put in concrete how can I close it for winter?
Pavers are an option.

Oh, and dont worry about the liner covered stairs. Mine are that way. Stairs in the pool. Looks 1000X better than those white bumped out stairs, IMO.

bk406 is our New England source on good backfill advice. Us good ole' boys ( :mrgreen: ) still aren't sure what the "processed gravel" is but I would follow his suggestion.

Talked to another PB who is well respected and he only uses septic grade sand, whatever the heck that is. These PBers are freaking out when I say I don't want dirt or sand. They all talk about the stone shifting and damaging the plumbing for the pool. The strange thing for me is I say I don't mind paying extra for stone and they only want to do it their way.

Stone will work, it's just more expensive. It's good for concrete, but if u changed your mind and wanted pavers you definitely need a little processed gravel.
Really, if your going to spend the money on stone, just use whats called flowable fill. Comes from the concrete company. It reaches maximal compaction in about 2 hours. It's not concrete. You can dig it with a shovel. Look into it. It's about the same price as a full stone backfill

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I am 99% processed gravel is a generic term - meaning it is not PURE GRAVEL, but by product of the MFG of gravel. Could be a few different smaller sized chips/dust/etc. from other stone's, etc. Hope this makes sense.

I think it is safe to say clients don't want concrete that is cracked all over. I also don't think anyone wants pavers that are all uneven from settling. I'm also pretty sure no one wants to wait months or years for their ground to settle before installing concrete or pavers. Wouldn't it make sense for PBers to use this flowable fill or some other item like that solves these problems? Makes you wonder why any of them use sand or dirt?

toofast said:
I am 99% processed gravel is a generic term - meaning it is not PURE GRAVEL, but by product of the MFG of gravel. Could be a few different smaller sized chips/dust/etc. from other stone's, etc. Hope this makes sense.

It's basically 1/2" to 3/4" stone with some fines. Some places add milled asphalt to it. I like it for back fill becaseu its cheaper than using pure stone, and it compacts well. If you using pavers, i would not under any circumstances use pure stone for the base. The sand/stone dust under the pavers wont have a solid, non porus base to sit on. Concrete on the other hand is ok to put on stone as long as you put a little sand on top.
The flowable fill is more than stone but less than concrete per cubic yard. And it will not compact or settle anymore after its put in.

I built my pool last year with full width steps and my back fill was all pea gravel my concrete guy said in deep fills 3/4 will settle some and I did not want to compact next to pool wall this would make the walls bow in. I also removed all topsoil to a solid base. We have a 3 foot wall on the backside of the pool in all I used 100 tons of stone. My stamped concrete is 6 inches thick with no settling and no cracks one year later! Pool is 20 x 44 with about 1000 sq feet of deck the extra money spent on the stone an cement was well worth it to me. I also have had no problem with the steps and would not do it any other way. I subbed the cement work and did every thing else my self and the job could not have come out better!

I finally found a PBer that loves to use stone and is totally onboard. He understood what my wife and I were looking for and added some great ideas. This the builder we have been looking for. Thank you to the forum for all the great info and I would have never known to ask for stone!

I built my pool last year with full width steps and my back fill was all pea gravel my concrete guy said in deep fills 3/4 will settle some and I did not want to compact next to pool wall this would make the walls bow in. I also removed all topsoil to a solid base. We have a 3 foot wall on the backside of the pool in all I used 100 tons of stone. My stamped concrete is 6 inches thick with no settling and no cracks one year later! Pool is 20 x 44 with about 1000 sq feet of deck the extra money spent on the stone an cement was well worth it to me. I also have had no problem with the steps and would not do it any other way. I subbed the cement work and did every thing else my self and the job could not have come out better!
Did you use pea gravel for the side backfill as well? We did peagravel for base but were told to use 3/4 rock for the backfill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.