Lurker attempting first SLAM

I guess those suits don't need to be bleached in the washer tonight. Neither do the kids...LOL

I am going to guess if the FC didn't bother kids, the potential damage to the suits is the only damage. You might think about not washing the suits with the darks this week...or try rinsing them out.

In my defense, the last time I checked the CYA, it was 80. So I figured we were good to go. It wasn't until I checked everything after we got out that I realized it was only 60. Would explain why my daughter said her eyes were burning. Oops. Might try to swap out some water in the wee hours of the night again. Try to get that CYA down to 40.

Thanks again everyone for all the help. Not only have I learned a ton, but you guys have given me something to do and read while I sit around and wait for my pool to shape up.

You are OK with your 60CYA. It just means don't get a bloom. You could do the drain and fill if you get a bloom and fix it then. Until then, enjoy the warm water.

We know rain will tend to move your CYA down, not sure where you live. I know at my house the next rain will happen in October so I need to watch how much I have as I am going to have it all year.

As long as you are not using solid forms of chlorine, you are not adding CYA.

The higher FC would not likely have bothered them, the active level is still well below what would be found in a public pool with no CYA ... the slightly higher FC was not "dangerous" by any means.

Likely the irritation was due to the high CC ... or the pH being out of whack.

Polishing up the ol "Neighbor of the Year" award and doing (hopefully) my last water swap. Will test again in the morning before I go to the firehouse. Got my fingers crossed.

Oh, and I placed an order today to resupply my FAS/DPD reagent and CYA reagent. That FAS/DPD stuff goes pretty fast when you're adding 60 drops per test!! And don't get me started on how hard it was to count that high!! I had to borrow some of my wife's toes!!

Edit:
Forgot to tell you, brought my wife out to the pool while it was draining (no return jets flowing so the water was calm) and I said "look how clear that water is" and she said "oh wow! I don't think it's ever looked like that." BOOOOOOOM!!!!

Slim Daddy said:
Polishing up the ol "Neighbor of the Year" award and doing (hopefully) my last water swap. Will test again in the morning before I go to the firehouse. Got my fingers crossed.

Oh, and I placed an order today to resupply my FAS/DPD reagent and CYA reagent. That FAS/DPD stuff goes pretty fast when you're adding 60 drops per test!! And don't get me started on how hard it was to count that high!! I had to borrow some of my wife's toes!!

Edit:
Forgot to tell you, brought my wife out to the pool while it was draining (no return jets flowing so the water was calm) and I said "look how clear that water is" and she said "oh wow! I don't think it's ever looked like that." BOOOOOOOM!!!!
Yup... Kiss of death! Lol... Good thread , it's always fun when it's someone else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Latest results are in....

CYA 50 ( was really hoping for 40, but oh well)
FC 23.0
CC 1.0

FC is at 23 because I add CL this morning before I tested the CYA. I added enough for a CYA of 60.

Was wondering what your thoughts were about my cover. Is it possible there is algae on the underside of the cover? Do I need to get under there and scrub it?

Cleaning your cover is recommended. If you raised your pool to a shock level for your CYA and then closed it (assuming your cover lays on the water) it will take care of some of it but a scrub will ensure it's clean. Use a dilute bleach solution.

Alright guys, frustration is beginning to set in. I've been doing this for about a week now, and I seem to have peaked. The water has been clear for days, but I can't seem to get my CC below 1.0. And I'm still dropping FC. Im brushing, vacuuming, keeping the CL levels up to the shock value. What else can I do? My pump pressure has only gone up 1 psi (from 18-19). Could it be a problem with my filter? Might try to pop off the multiport valve and clean my sand today. I leave tomorrow for a week to volunteer at a summer camp. I really didn't think it would take more than a week to get this done.

Check for hiding algae. Ladder, filter, pump, cover etc.

If you have cc and consumption of CL the algae is there somewhere. Stay the course, you will get there my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.