new abg pool owner and needing help

Jun 10, 2008
Central Texas
Hello to all of you here..I am comming here with confidence in your success of pool probs.:)
I purchased an ABG Intex 18x48 pool about one week ago.
The day we set the pool up and filled it, it was very windy and hot. The water was crystal clear,but the next day it was a little hazy like ,and then the third day after filling ,I could not see the bottom of the pool or the third step.
I had not purchased any chemicals at all and all i had on hand was a gallon of bleach(Clorox regular). I poured the whole gallon in and went to wal mart to buy some pool stuff.
I bought an HTH three way test kit and found my water was very red ,very high of pH 8.2, the Cl and Br are nothing in color or 0.
I went back to wally world and bought pHdown and 3pkgs of super sock it shock for vinyl pools.
I added the shock, one pkg in the morning and one pkg in the eve,and one this morning.I tested my water about 20min.ago and the reading was a little changed.My CL Br is .5 or the lowest on the level reader and my pH is still high 7.8
I added 2 cups of pH down during the course of shock treats.
My water is still hazy and not much change.
What can I do to get it clear again?Should I add more bleach?I really do not want to spend a fortune at the pool place.
Also ,we live in the country and have farm animals close by ,has this ever been a prob. with any pool waters before?
Any and all suggestions are much appreciated.
TIA,Thanks In Advance
Kay

Hi there, you've come to the right place. You are fine getting bleach and other supplys from Walmart, just use bleach, borax and baking soda instead of stuff called "phdown" which is just more expensive stuff then you need.

The cheapest way to lower ph is with Muratic Acid, which I THINK you can find at Walmart, for sure at a hardware store or Home Depot/Lowes type place.

The super shock for vinyl pools really won't help you.

Based on some earlier threads this week, the intex pools come with filters that are undersized for the pool water. Once you develop a problem (easy to do with not enough chlorine) you will have trouble clearing your water because of your filter.

One thing at a time.

You need to read the "stickys" which there is a link in my signature, specifically BBB for beginners, what to test for, etc... There is a lot of info and it can be overwhelming but just take your time and post your questions on this thread and we'll help.

This is our first pool ever , and I dont know what to do ,where do I get a really good test kit?how often should a pool be shocked or bleached?
This pool is temporary for the summer, we are having an inground natural pool built , and I do believe I will need a lot better pool tester for that.
TIA,
Kay

Yes, you will. If you want to make the leap now, DURALEIGH, on here, sells a great kit, and it will be worth it to spend the money now, IMHO, if you are upgrading next year.

Otherwise Wal-mart sells a 6-way kit for about $16, but there is only enough testing in there for CYA for 3 tests, which won't get you very far, since I suspect you have no CYA in your pool and you need that to help maintain your chlorine level and avoid cloudy/green algea issues with your undersized filter.

My recommendation? Get the TF 100 test kit from Duraleigh, you won't regret it. It ships quick, you can do overnight shipping or you will get it regular shipping in 3-4 days.

Pour a gallon of bleach in there tonight if you have it, otherwise go get some and get the bleach in there ASAP. You will have to keep adding bleach frequently since it is likely you have no CYA to help maintain the bleach level in your pool.

Without a way to test your water better, this is all guess work as to how much bleach and how often to add it. You can try to muddle thru with the test you have, until a better one can be had.

Hi, Kay and welcome!

FPM has given you spot-on advice!

You can get a good test kit from one of our members here (see the TF-100 link in my signature). another good kit is the Taylor k-2006, available online or perhaps at your local pool store.

Don't discount your temporary intex as being less of a pool than your fancy future one... You get just as wet, keeping the water clean and sanitary is just as important, and, as FPM stated, more difficult with your undersized filter-pump. Invest in the test kit now and you will save yourself money and frustration later!!

Bleach you will need to add daily, in the evening after the sun goes down. Use Jason's calculator, linked in my signature, and add bleach to raise your FC to 2. (it will be 0 by the end of the day, as the sun burns it off.)

You will also need to get some CYA or stabilizer into your water. It protects the chlorine from the sun.

Let us know when you are ready for that step!

Edited to add: WOW!! everyone is posting at the same time!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA can be bought from Wal-mart, look for "stabilizer", usually in a 2 or 4 lb jug/container.

Btw, did you notice the forum will be experiencing some changes over the next 24-28 hrs. You may lose postings....see the announcement on the homepage.

We'll still be here, to help you out in anyway we can...!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.