pH question

hurt5150

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2013
Missouri
I have been slowly lowering my TA but it is still high ~200. Right now I am adding MA about every 3-4 days to drop pH to 7.2 and letting it creep up. I am going on vacation in a few weeks and have someone arranged to check the water and add bleach daily but I don't want to ask that person to add MA.

My question is, what harm will possibly be done to people, the water, or the pool itself if the pH is > 7.8 for a couple days? I don't think I have metals in my water. Is calcium staining an issue with vinyl walls??

Thanks!

It is possible to develop scale on vinyl liner pools if the conditions are right, but I think it would take longer than a couple of days. If your CYA is low enough (below 50ppm) you can add a couple of trichlor pucks to a floater to help keep the pH down while you are away. How long do you plan to be gone?

You can probably be a little more aggressive in lowering the TA by adding acid more frequently. By the time you leave in a few weeks, the TA should be down to a good level. Try pointing your returns up to break the surface of the water with the return stream to help accelerate the process.

What is your calcium hardness?

So am I correct in interpreting that TA will lower faster if I keep my pH consistently on low end? My CH was 300 last Thursday. I did turn my little jet thing so it bubbles up again. I had done that before but then the water circulation didn't work all the leaves and things to the center like it does when jet points to side and I got the frowny face from my hubby.

Yes, your TA will lower faster if you keep your ph lower. Aeration helps to make the ph climb while not raising TA.. if you want to move it faster, that is the way to go.

Doing it over time shouldn't be a problem either. I've never had a problem with scaling and let my ph climb to 7.8, even been as high as 8.2 a few times before bringing it back down. I start out with high TA every summer due to topping off with our well water.

I understand the extra effort in cleaning when the returns don't push the leaves to the center.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.