Nature2 mineral cartridge splitting down the side

Hi all,

Each of the past two years I noticed small beads on the pool floor and in the cleaner towards the end of the season. Not recognizing them, it took me a bit to figure out what they were. In each case it was the mineral cartridge, which had split a bit on the side allowing the mineral beads to be pushed into the pool. Because it was the end of the season - I didn't make a big deal of it. Well - year 3 using Nature2 and this time the split has happened mid season. Three in a row takes away the coincidence possibilities. Any ideas of what might be causing this?
I have read a few of the threads on these mineral cartridges and now understand that they may not be a good idea and I will be thinking about that. For now - I'd like to try to understand why this is happening.

Aren't you supposed to change those cartridges twice a year? I'd say that they aren't designed to last very long. Since almost no one here leaves them in we don't have any experience with them.

What does your filter pressure run?

Once a year if the pool is closed for the winter, twice a year for year round operation. I owned one, I never will again.

It sounds like either it isn't sitting correctly in the unit, or by chance are you using an above ground unit on a below ground pool?

Really, I would just do away with the mineral cartridge. It's putting metals into your water. I removed mine and haven't looked back.

Do you have the Duoclear? I did, and I took apart one of the mineral cartridges, removed the bag and reinserted the cartridge shell (the cartridge must be in for the Duoclear to work).

As to why the bag is splitting...??? Weird.

Bama Rambler said:
Aren't you supposed to change those cartridges twice a year? I'd say that they aren't designed to last very long. Since almost no one here leaves them in we don't have any experience with them.

What does your filter pressure run?

It's once a year when you have a pool that is only open part time. I have been changing them yearly. I thought I was indicating as much in my question in that I had mentioned that I was on my third one, each having split at one point during the year. I have removed this one and it doesn't appear to have split down the side. Rather the beads appear to be coming out the top.

rcy said:
Really, I would just do away with the mineral cartridge. It's putting metals into your water. I removed mine and haven't looked back.

Do you have the Duoclear? I did, and I took apart one of the mineral cartridges, removed the bag and reinserted the cartridge shell (the cartridge must be in for the Duoclear to work).

As to why the bag is splitting...??? Weird.

I have the regular version. Just mineral cartridge. I am granting that maybe I need to move away from mineral cartridge. Hoping to understand what is going on. Now three years in a row.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.