Need some clarification on using DE with a sand filter

Jul 21, 2013
I have been seaching for help on getting my cloudy pool back to crystal clear.
In my search this site was most informative and seemed to have a remedy, though it was out of the norm for those with sand filters. The post suggested to add DE ( they used (4) cups but didn't give a pool size or ratio ) to the sand filter and after doing so had great results....
I was at whits end with this and spent $$$ and wasted time at the pool store trying to fix with chemicals that just were not bringing this around.
Finally I did purchase some DE and thought at this point I have nothing to loose.....

My pool is 12x24 oval 54 depth, I added 2 cups to start just to be on the safe side and within 8 hours it has improved greatly.....
My question is can anyone tell me the ratio of DE to volume of the pool? It's obvious (2) cups was not quite enough for mine to get crystal clear from the start, So planning to add (2) more for now.
And, after doing so, can you swim right away or do you have to wait for a period of time before swimming?
Finally, I back-wash before adding DE, again after a few hours ( once I noticed the presure dropped ) is that enough or do I need to back-wash more often?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.