pressure is rising after back wash and cleaning of de filter

G

My pool was running fine for the past two days. Then the returns(jets) in the shallow end subsided. I cleaned out the skimmer basket and pumps basket as usual and back washed. After several times of backwashing, that the pressure gauge on the DE filter still read 30. So I opened the DE filter and cleaned it. I also cleaned out the jandy filter which was clogged with really old DE. When I tried to run the system again, the pressure was back to 30. And now there was a flow from both jets in the pool. Where do I begin with trouble shooting?

Re: pressure is rising after back wash and cleaning of de fi

When I first poured 3 (5 gallon) liquid shocks to the pool it went from dark green to light green almost teal. Today since it has not been running for more than 24hrs, it is dark green again!
I have been instructed to add 5(9oz.) scoops to the skimmer.

DE should always be weighed with a scale the scoops can be WAY off depending on how it is packed, second if you are not already doing it and the pool is green you need to follow the SLAM procedures to get it clear pool-school/shocking_your_pool

I doubt this is your problem, but you should be aware pool pressure gauges tend to be cheaply built and don't tend to last more than a few years, if the gauge shows pressures while the pump motor is off it is a sure sign it has failed

It sounds like the system is working exactly as it's intended to. Since you have a DE filter it's not uncommon for it to clog very quickly when you have algae.

You should verify that 5 scoops is the correct amount for the model filter you have.

Follow Isaac's advice on SLAMing your pool.

Re: Am I being taken to the bank?

Ok, I had the pool store come out and tell be what's wrong. The discovered I should have my grids acid washed. The filter has not been opened since I bought it in 2007. They call me this morning and say oh by the way you have tears in your grid that will be another 65 dollars. Would there have been signs that I had a ripped grid from the start. They said a few leaves must have torn it. How does leaves rip my grid?

I would not pay 65 fit 1 or 2 grids since you can get all 8 off eBay for under $150 and start fresh. I think the leaf thing is hooey.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.