Dropped extension cord in pool

MiaOKC

Apr 15, 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
Hello - DH was using the shop vac around the deck of the pool and dragged the extension cord into the water. Our outdoor plug is not a GFCI, but there is some sort of GFCI built into our electrical panel that tripped, so we reset and that outlet is working again. First I was most concerned about our pool robot which was plugged into the same outlet, but it seems OK. Now I'm freaked out that the water in the pool is electrified. DH got in the pool to show me it wasn't, and I did, too, but I'm so shaken up from the freak out I need some reassurance. Please help!

Oh, and supposed to have a big pool party with 30 people here tomorrow. How to tell if water is OK?

Yes, water doesn't store electricity any more than a wire does once it's unplugged, plus the breaker probably tripped very quickly. Absolutely nothing to worry about, but be careful in the future!

I have a Taylor K-2006 to test the water but think that might not be what you mean. That story of the 11yo girl being electrocuted at her swim club completely scared me already, and this thing today gave me heart palpitations. (Or was I just freaking out? Auuuuuugggghhh!) I was an English major, so have forgotten anything I ever knew about electricity.

No, that's what he meant. The only thing you need to worry about is whether your chemical levels are good. I was an electrical engineering major at one time, so I probably forgot more than you knew :wink:

You is fine, their is no problem, couldn't be gooder. (That was a joke... Because you are an English major... funny, no?)

Donldson said:
No, that's what he meant. The only thing you need to worry about is whether your chemical levels are good. I was an electrical engineering major at one time, so I probably forgot more than you knew :wink:

You is fine, their is no problem, couldn't be gooder. (That was a joke... Because you are an English major... funny, no?)

The Donald strikes again. Good advice, good humor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now that you know the pool is safe, you may want to see about getting all those outdoor outlets switched over to ground fault breakers / outlets in case this ever happens again while someone is swimming.

Isaac-1 said:
Now that you know the pool is safe, you may want to see about getting all those outdoor outlets switched over to ground fault breakers / outlets in case this ever happens again while someone is swimming.

She said she has a gfi breaker. Can't put a gfi plug on a circuit with a gfi breaker. Won't work. And not needed.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.