Is this normal for Diamond Brite?

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
I had my pool finished about 5 weeks ago. Diamond Brite French Gray. I knew about the mottling effect from what I have read on here, and expected a non-consistent finish. But I did expect it to be consistently non-consistent... :) I did not expect streaks and lines... and I am trying to figure out if this is normal or an issue from installation or acid wash.

Installation day was dry... no rain. Came back the next day to acid wash, and I filled right away over the next two days.

I have maintained the water balance EXACTLY from day 1 based on SGM standards. I brushed twice daily during the first two weeks as instructed. I varied the brushing pattern each time.

The water color is a bit lighter than I expected... almost like if the dark spots you see below were the normal color of the finish, the color would have been exactly what we were looking for.

I am trying to figure out if this is perfectly normal, or if I am seeing the troweling patters... or if it is from acid run-off during the acid wash.

I'd appreciate any feedback from the pictures I have posted below if this is normal or not.

Attachments

• IMG_3056.JPG
    IMG_3056.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_3057.JPG
    IMG_3057.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_3058.JPG
    IMG_3058.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 553
That general kind of streaking is completely normal. That said, your photos show more color difference from place to place than I would expect. Photos are often deceptive about that kind of thing, so it is impossible to be sure, but that looks a little worse than average.

It is fairly consistent with ours but ours is not exactly the same product. It is white plaster tinted gray with Onyx Diamond Brite. The darker patches/areas on ours are mostly on the vertical walls of the benches and a couple of other places. Our bottom very clearly shows troweling effects but it happens to be in a somewhat pleasing and symmetrical pattern by chance. The troweling marks are in coloration only, all surfaces are very smooth.

We were given a stainless and nylon brush to use for daily brushing. I think that was a bit aggressive on the surface and left some marks in the plaster in the way of bristle marks (again in coloration only, not in texture). I did not do a good job of varying my brushing strokes.

I'd too say yours is within the range of expected variability. I think the ideal would be like the upper side of a dolphin's skin.

The bottom of the deep end picture looks fine to me... I just included that in the set... but the ones I was more disappointed with are the ones with streaks running down from every fixture... and the marks in the cave that look like when they acid washed it, it continued to drip with acid and etched it more. Those just seem like installation and acid wash errors to me. There are also some areas, lines and spots that are all solid cement, and no aggregate exposed.

Can these spots be touched up while the pool is full? Or is this something that they would want to wait until next spring and drain and acid wash again to help even out?

bpricedo said:
I think it looks wonderful! And I also think that is what it's supposed to look like.

Ummm not exactly. :mrgreen:

I think poor acid washing may be the culprit judging by those "runs" from the fittings. No way of knowing, but a logical assumption. It may get better over time, but has the installer/builder looked at it, and what did they say?

I figured I'd post one more pic of what I think is the best part they did... the sun shelf looks very consistent, with only a few white streaks where they did not expose any aggregate.

I just don't understand why they could not get the entire surface to look the same.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the dark streaks are OVER etched washed or not etched enough? I am guessing OVER etched. What options does the PB have to fix it? Can it be fixed?

The PB has not been back since start-up. I still owe him $.

Attachments

• IMG_3063new.jpg
    IMG_3063new.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 423
I know there is a guy here who can answer these questions, but I imagine they didn't hard trowel, rag, and pull the fat like they should have either. Everything I have studied indicates that all these processes are needed for good and proper exposure. I know too that streaking, mottling and such things are always part of it with any finish, but it gets really tricky with builders deciding if something is bad enough for them to cover a re-do. This thread is of particular interest to me as finishing is something I've been reading up on a lot just recently. Also because the light to medium Greys are what we are leaning too for finish color. Maybe the guy here with the handle "waste" will weigh in on this for you. If not you might send him a PM. Very knowledgable guy.

EDIT: Another user by the handle of "on balance" is another excellent resource on this subject. You might ask one of those guys.

Brushpup said:
bpricedo said:
I think it looks wonderful! And I also think that is what it's supposed to look like.

Ummm not exactly. :mrgreen:

I think poor acid washing may be the culprit judging by those "runs" from the fittings. No way of knowing, but a logical assumption. It may get better over time, but has the installer/builder looked at it, and what did they say?

I see what you're saying about the streaks around the fittings being due to acid washing. I was mainly speaking about the color variability/mottling/streaking. I've seen lots of threads like this over the years about finish consistency. More acid washing will expose more aggregate and may help with finish appearance but it is just prematurely wearing away the cement. Time and brushing will also do the same over the years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow mine is the same way , Diamond brite french grey .. milky looking , we didnt acid wash ,rather acid bath and brushing for 2 weeks didint help . Time is the only thing 5 years , most of it gone , It looks like clouds in the sky. After a while it doesnt bother you . I wanted to drain and have the plaster polished .

There is a tool that does apply liquids for stain removal etc. I don't know anymore about it though. Not sure it is something you want to do either. I don't know enough to say though. I would get some expertise and solid advice for doing something like that if it were me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.